Anna Schultz-Patches On Jean Jacket
Anna Schultz-Patches On Jean Jacket
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Style

Style Trends Generation Z Brought Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Generation Z’s are notorious for bringing back style trends from past decades, especially the 80’s and 90’s. Things our parents were happy to get rid of are now back and better than ever.

1. Bellbottom Jeans

Similar to boot cut jeans, bell-bottom jeans are very popular to pair with sweaters or fitted shirts. According to Anna Laplaca, “There’s a reason this decade outdid all the others in terms of its sartorial staying power, and it has a lot to do with bohemian-inflected styles like luxurious suede and neutral earth tones.” On top of this, the jeans are usually high-waisted which adds an extra touch of 70’s inspired since high wasted jeans were very popular during this decade.

Stylish Girl In Front Of Door Way
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus

2. Mom Jeans

Mom Jeans were also a huge trend in the 70’s and 80s. Growing up and watching the infamous Full House series, we can see mom jeans being worn multiple times throughout the series because it was popular during the taping of the show. The show influenced the younger generations and helped bring back the loose jeans look ultimately getting rid of skinny jeans.

Anna Schultz-Girl Flipping Hair
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

3. Scrunchies

It is no secret that scrunchies are a huge hit with the younger generations, especially the VSCO girls. Whether it is multiple scrunchies on your wrist or around your gear shift in your car, it is not hard to style these trendy ponytails.

Element5 Digital
Element5 Digital / Unsplash

4. Big Framed Glasses

Growing up, we often looked at high school photos of our parents and what we could not miss was those huge glasses. It seemed like their glasses covered their whole face! Now it is super hip to wear huge glasses. Many people who have 20/20 vision get them just as style purposes. It is kind of funny to wear the glasses and hear your parents say, “So that’s what I looked like in high school.”

Amelia Kramer-Girl With Glasses Close Up Sipping Latte Coffee Shop
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus

5. Anything Vintage

Thrifting is one of the most popular things to do. Whether it be with friends or by yourself, going to Goodwill or Salvation Army is where everyone wants to go to shop. Anything vintage is something most people look for when shopping. The older design labels just hit a little different than the newer labels. Second-hand shopping is very sustainable and a great perk to getting cute items for a cheaper price. No, I don’t want to purchase a shirt with the Nike symbol for $49.95.

white rabbit boutique vintage denim
Delaney Bopp

Even though our parents swore these trends would end, and they were happy about it, they have made a comeback because Generation Z’s are one to flash these wacky styles. Whether you love them or hate them, these trends don’t seem like they are going away anytime soon.

Lots of love,

Jess

Jessica Hogeboom

Illinois State '22

ISU 2022 | Elementary Education Follow me on Instagram : @jesshogeboom
Contributor account for Illinois State