Questions for Srat Girls from an Outsider

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

From one college woman to others, what the heck is going on? This past week was “rush” week on our campus, and honestly I felt like as a senior, I shouldn’t still be this confused. So please, help a girl out.

What is rush? I’ve heard of bidding. Is there some sort of girl-auction that you all are participating in? Is there money involved? Do you hire an auctioneer to talk really fast? Is there a scary initiation? Do you have to do illegal stuff? Do you sacrifice one freshman girl to the Greek Gods every year?

How do you decide which sorority you want to be in? Do you even get to pick? Do you just shout, “I WANT TO BE A SISTER,” into the void and hope someone you like answers you?

What is the big-little relationship like? What even are bigs and littles? Is there an implied “sister” somewhere in there? Do bigs ever get offended when people call them big?

Why do you all wear matching clothes? Like, do you all just want to look cute together, or is it required? If it’s required, then why? Do you spend a small fortune buying new clothes every semester? How can you afford that? Where do you shop? Please give me fashion tips.

Do you have to pay rent to live in the house? Do you really have a chef to cook all your meals? Do you have to clean, or do you also have a maid? Do you mow the lawn and garden too, or does someone else do that?

How do you take perfect pictures every time? You all never look bad. Your hair is always perfect. Your make up is always killer. The pictures you post on IG are all simultaneously posed, yet candid??? What is that? Share your secrets! Take for example this picture of one of our editors-in-chief Katie, and her lovely (real life) sister Anna. They’re beautiful!

What about time management? I know you all are crazy busy with… whatever it is you do… how do you pass classes? Do you all have jobs too?

Related: What do you all do exactly? From your social media accounts, I assume philanthropy of some kind and drinking? Not at the same time I hope???

Do you ever get tired of all the stereotypes circulating around you and your sisters? Do people STILL actually assume hurtful things about you in the year 2017? I won’t repeat which stereotypes I’m talking about because I don’t want to give them any credence.

And finally, is the sisterhood real? How close are you with your sisters? Do you love your other friends as much as you love your sorority sisters? Do you ever get tired of each other? Do you think you will all be friends forever?

Shout out to sorority girls everywhere! I love you all, no matter how much you confuse me.

Hi guys! I'm Holly, and I'm a writer for HerCampus at Illinois State. My interests includes feminism, superheroes, books, movies, tv shows, food, and puppies! As you can see, I enjoy a pretty eclectic range of things, but most importantly I'm just a regular college girl trying to live her best life. :)
Contributor account for Illinois State