This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

So, your job isn’t your favorite. Or school is kicking you in the a**. Or maybe your struggling to make ends meet. Let’s face it, you have a lot on your plate.

Maybe this isn’t exactly your situation right now, but you’re working really hard to make things good for yourself. We all have dilemmas and situations that we go through where we just feel defeated. 

And that’s okay. You hear me? It’s totally okay. 

It’s okay to admit things aren’t going your way right now. It’s okay to admit that you aren’t okay. And it’s definitely okay to admit that you’re struggling. 

Your feelings are valid. They matter and they always will. 

This is something I’ve struggled with, especially recently. Sometimes we get this idea in our heads that everything has to be perfect. Everything has to go your way or your world will come crashing down. 

But let’s face it, everything in life isn’t going to go your way. You’re going to have struggles. You’re going to face obstacles in this rollercoaster ride we call life. 

Admitting that you’re facing these struggles is the hardest part for most people. Being vulnerable and trusting people with your emotions is hard. I get it. 

But it can also be so rewarding. 

I don’t think I learned this until very recently, but bottling up your emotions and hiding your true feelings even from yourself is just going to make things worse. Even the strongest people can’t handle everything on their own. At some point in your life, you’re going to need help. Whether it’s from a friend, a mentor, or a family member…. 

There’s always going to be someone to help you. 

And it’s okay to feel negative emotions. It’s okay if you feel like crying, punching something, or just screaming. It’s okay to feel negative emotions because I believe that they balance out our positive ones. 

Having emotions and admitting that you’re struggling doesn’t make you weak. In fact, I believe it makes you the exact opposite. It makes you strong. It’s hard to be open with your feelings and emotions. It’s hard to trust people, and if you open up to someone and are trying to take charge of your life, you’re freaking strong. It’s that simple. 

If you’re going through a hard time, take a second and breathe. Rest. Recharge. Take back that control you feel like you’re losing. Open up to someone. Let them know you’re struggling. Because at the end of the day…

It’s going to make you a whole lot stronger. 

Alyssa Ginzburg

Illinois State '22

Hi! I'm Alyssa Ginzburg and I'm a Senior at ISU & I'm studying Middle Level Education! I love writing, fashion, and all things women empowering, which makes Her Campus the perfect environment to share my voice! Check out my Instagram and Twitter if you want to know more! :) Instagram: @alyssaginzburg Twitter: @AlyssaRhea1
Contributor account for Illinois State