This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I am that person that uses my planner constantly and write a list of what I need to do on that specific day. If you were to look at my planner, you will see each day is filled up with a do to list and there are highlighter marks everywhere. I always cross off when I am finished with an assignment or anything else on my list. Using a planner is a great way to stay organized! Here are some tips to make the most use out of your planner.

1. Use the monthly view

This is so helpful, especially if you are one to forget things easily. Specifically, for assignments, write down all your due dates and make sure you write down exam days. If you are in any organizations, write down when events and meetings are. You can write down people’s birthdays, appointments, homework days, etc. Using your monthly view of your planner is just as important as using your daily view because it helps you stay organized!

2. Cross things off

There is no better feeling than accomplishing something, no matter how big or small that accomplishment is. Whenever I have a test coming up, I always write STUDY 5 days prior to the test. Even if I studied for 30 minutes or 2 hours, I still feel a sense of accomplishment crossing it off.

3. Personalize it

It is YOUR planner! There is no right way to use your planner. You can write down anything that you want and it doesn’t have to be super neat either! My planner is not neat whatsoever (my handwriting isn’t the best), but I do try to make it as organized as possible.

4. Try to be realistic

Try not to write down more tasks than you can accomplish that day. Space it out! It can be overwhelming looking at your to-do list and seeing how much you need to get done in one day. That is why the monthly view comes in handy. You can see when an assignment is due and set aside time each day to work on it.

These are just a few tips on how to make the most use of your planner. Hope these are helpful!

Contributor account for Illinois State