This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Ever since I was a little kid, I absolutely loved curling up with a book. Now that we’re in autumn, it’s the perfect time to pull on a sweater, drink a hot cup of tea, and to spend some quality time with a good novel. With so many popular titles out there and a bevy of books with film adaptations, it can be difficult to pick what to read. However, as a bit of a book nerd, I’ve done the work for you. Here are my top five books to cozy up with this fall. 

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

I feel like John Green’s novels are staples on any book lover’s shelves. Honestly, you could pick up any one of his novels and walk away satisfied, but if you’re looking for one that isn’t as hyped up or popular as The Fault in Our Stars, then this is perfect for you. As one of my personal favorites, this book centers around a girl named Aza who struggles with OCD and anxiety. Readers witness how she navigates her conditions while simultaneously working with friends to uncover the truth about a missing billionaire, who just so happens to be the father of one of her neighbors. Personally, when the weather starts getting colder and I’m spending more time inside, I like books that make me think. This novel does just that, and it’s perfect to sit and read on a crisp autumn day. 

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard 

When I read this book, I honestly felt that it really wasn’t anything special. I did enjoy it, but it wasn’t until the days after I finished reading this book that I really fell in love with it: it stuck in my head and I was constantly thinking about it. Even my sister adored it and re-read it a few times, even though she isn’t much of a reader. For me, this book is perfect for the fall because it symbolizes both beginnings and endings, much like autumn represents the end of summer but the beginning of a new season with new opportunities. The novel is a young adult fantasy novel about a society separated by two blood types: silvers, who have special abilities, and reds, who are average but impoverished. The main character Mare Barrow has red blood, but after a freak accident, she soon discovers that she’s a lot more like her silver counterparts than everyone originally thought. The book has romance, action, warfare, complicated familial relations, and even elements of political turmoil. This first installment in Aveyard’s series offers something for everyone, similar to the season of fall. 

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I originally picked up this novel because it was a requirement for my literature class senior year of high school. I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy it because it wasn’t something that seemed appealing to me, but I was definitely proven wrong. It quickly became something that I looked forward to reading because of how gripping the plot was. It was one of the most impactful books I read that year, and it was refreshing to read something that surrounded a culture different from my own. Despite the fact that the book covers topics that may be triggering for some individuals, I still think it’s a book that’s worth at least doing some research on. Mainly centered in Afghanistan, the book centers around Amir and his relationships and experiences in the war-torn country. Hosseini focuses on the foundations of friendship, the transcendence of time, and the power of finding the courage to carry on. It’s definitely a novel that sucks you in, which can be perfect for those cold and rainy fall days. 

Again, but Better by Christine Riccio 

I LOVED this book. I’ve been following Riccio’s YouTube channel “polandbananasbooks” for years now (because at this point what college student doesn’t profess their love for things like Netflix and YouTube), and I was thrilled when I found out she was publishing a novel. Even though I read the novel in the summer, I still think that it’s a good option for autumn. The book is light-hearted and fun, which can be a nice break from things like midterms and huge projects. However, the book also centers on the aspect of second chances, as well as learning to follow your own path. The main character Shane is a college student who is studying abroad in England, and lots of her experiences and feelings are things that college students can relate to. For me, I found the novel relatable, which can be a good way to reflect as we enter a new season. 

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Chances are that you read this book back in high school, but fall is a great time to reminisce and have those feelings of nostalgia. This is a novel that I’ve always considered to be one of my favorites because many of the themes in it can be applied even today. The pure and childlike innocence that the narrator Scout exudes is refreshing, but as she matures we realize the harshness of reality can be combated by maintaining your own beliefs. Also, the book’s memorable ending occurs during fall, so it’s a perfect pick to spend some time curled up in fluffy blankets and a warm cup of tea with. 

Honestly, in my eyes, every season can be reading season. There are millions of books out there in the world, but all it takes is one to transform the way you live your life. The written word is a powerful thing, so take advantage of it. As the leaves turn different hues of reds, oranges, and yellows, open your mind to a book that can possibly end up changing your life for the better

Caitlin Eichhorn

Illinois State '23

Caitlin is a senior at Illinois State University studying Public Relations and Spanish. She is a member of Theta Beta chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma and loves being a writer for Her Campus. When she's not studying or writing her novel, she is watching 80s films or hockey highlights.
Contributor account for Illinois State