pexels photo 2821823jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pexels photo 2821823jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels, HC UCLA
Wellness

4 Self-Care Ideas to Try This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

When you hear the word, “self-care,” what do you think about? Do you think about candle-lit baths, face masks, or laying in freshly cleaned sheets? The truth is, self-care can be absolutely anything. Self-care is something you do for yourself. It could be cooking your favorite meal, reading a good book, journaling, or watching a movie. I consider self-care as something I don’t do (or at least try to do) often, and it brings me enjoyment and satisfaction after doing it. Here are some of my favorite self-care ideas that I do!

Cleaning (specifically my bedroom)

If any of my friends are reading this, I know exactly what they are going to say. I never clean my room BUT when I do, it is like a weight is lifted off of my shoulders and my mind is clear to focus on other things.

Daily Devotionals

Now I am not going to speak on this much since not everyone is religious, but for those who believe in a God or higher power, I think it is so beneficial to read a devotional. Reading a daily devotional helps ease my mind and open my thoughts to the world around me.

Cooking

I have recently been OBSESSED with Olive Garden’s recipe for their Chicken and Gnocchi soup. So much that I have recreated that soup so many times in my own apartment. I consider this one of my favorite meals since I get to actually prepare the ingredients and spend time making the meal. It is so rewarding.

Journaling

Brain dumping your thoughts onto paper is so satisfying because you can physically see your thoughts on paper and can help sort through them easier. It is also so therapeutic to be able to write down your feelings on paper because it is like you are talking to someone (even though it is yourself). I can’t wait to look back on my past journals and see how far I have come

As I said, self-care can be found anywhere. As long as it makes you happy and it is something you are doing for yourself. Friendly reminder: please take care of yourself. Love yourself.

Lots of Love,

Jess

Jessica Hogeboom

Illinois State '22

ISU 2022 | Elementary Education Follow me on Instagram : @jesshogeboom
Contributor account for Illinois State