This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We all have different things we enjoy doing, there’s also a few things we enjoy doing that also might be considered relaxing. Here’s a list of a few things I find help me relax to reduce stress. 

I personally love to do anything active and outdoors, creative things, or something where I can just sit back and relax. 

1. Go to the gym– The gym can offer so much varying from different classes such as yoga or a boxing class, a rock climbing wall, weight and cardio machines, and even an indoor track to have an enjoyable run on. 

2. Go hiking-The constitution trail or any nearby outdoor park can always make a great hike and a great visual of some wonderful scenery. 

3. Write poetry– Writing in a notebook to vent out thoughts is a great way to get our thoughts out and onto something. Journaling, Poems, or even writing some stories is always a creative way to have fun.

4. Pet a dog or cat– Petting your neighbor’s dog, a random students dog in the quad, or even just going to the humane society to pet a dog or cat. Animals can always brighten your day and they’re very therapeutic. 

5. Listen to Music– Any kind of genre of music, just play that music! Listening to music to relax is always a power move, especially if you’re trying to tune out some louder noise or just need the music while you’re working out or studying.

6. Watch Netflix– Browse on Netflix by watching some movies or tv shows after a busy day. Comedy movies or shows are always bound to make you laugh. If you don’t have a Netflix account then snipe your families, friends, or ex-boyfriend/girlfriend’s login. 

7. Read– There’s a good book, boring book, and a funny, happy, sad, and bad book – you won’t know what kind of book it is unless you read it!

8. Paint– There’s something about adding more color with a paint brush that’s very relaxing. Watching an image come together in color and scenery is a master piece at works, especially if you’re the creator.

9. Roller Blade– This use of transportation is way more fun and cheaper than Uber! A great way to cope with stress. If you don’t know how to roller blade or own a pair, you can always rent out a bike or use a long board. Don’t be basic and just walk, give your feet a break and just roll with it!

10. Go to a pool– Did someone say pool party? Forget about school for a minute to take a breather. Soak up the sun with some friends and blast out the music. You’ll be sure to forget about that exam you just got an “F” on while you chill at a pool. 

11. Use a bath tub– Not everyone in college has a bath, but if you do ditch the shower once in a while to just relax in the bath tub. A bath tub is almost comparable to a hot tub when the bath water is also at a hot temperature. Treat yourself!

Your list might be so much different from mine but maybe there’s a few of these things that you already do and at least one or two of these things you might try doing.

Natalie Mitchell

Illinois State '19

Hi
Contributor account for Illinois State