What to Watch on Netflix Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

If you’re in the mood for a makeover or just want to watch something lighthearted and fun, you should indulge in…

1. Queer Eye

Queer Eye is a new Netflix original that premiered early this February. A remake of the show “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” that originally appeared on Bravo, this show follows the Fab 5, five gay men who give makeovers to straight men. The Fab 5 (pictured from left to right in the photo) includes Bobby (interior design), Karamo (culture), Jonathan (hair and beauty), Antoni (food), and Tan (fashion). Set in Georgia they find straight men (who have been nominated by family and friends) in need of both a makeover and a lifestyle change and show them how to be the best they can be in all these different areas. This show is lighthearted and fun while still pulling at your heartstrings at times when they really make a breakthrough with the man they’re making over. This show will make you laugh, maybe even make you cry at an emotional moment and by the end you will definitely want to have your own makeover. The good news is, you will have all of spring break to do just that!

If you need to be motivated to work out you should watch… 

2. Fittest on Earth 2015

This hour and forty-minute long documentary follows the intensity of the annual Crossfit Games where top athletes from all over the world compete for the title of fittest man/woman on Earth. Throughout the documentary viewers are introduced to competitors as well as the people who put on and host the games. Over the course of a few days these top athletes will compete in grueling challenges including weight lifting and cardio that make me tired just watching. We get to see a behind the scenes look into some of the athletes lives and their training before and during the games. Despite the fact that all the events that occur during the games are beyond intense, especially when they’re competing under the hot sun, the athletes love what they do and exhibit their joy of even qualifying for this competition in their personal interviews. I can guarantee that watching this documentary will make you want to go to the gym and start working out right away.

If you want to watch a thought-provoking movie that you could possibly bring up in a sociology or a media and society course, you should watch…

3. Memento

Unfortunately, Netflix took this amazing movie off without my knowledge, but the good news is that if you have Netflix you can still order it and have it delivered to your home to watch (or borrow it from your local library or find it online somewhere). While I do admit this method is old school, it’s definitely worth it! I first watched this movie in my theory of knowledge class, which was basically a philosophy class. This movie follows the main character, Leonard, as he tries to find his wife’s murderer. However, Leonard suffers from a hindering condition that enables him to only remember what happens 15 minutes at a time. Keeping track of anyone he meets and facts he knows to be true by taking Polaroids and tattooing himself with information he spends all his time trying to get revenge. This movie switches from going from the present to the past and the past to the present with the stories intertwining until the end of the movie where they come together in a shocking reveal.

If you’re looking to watch a foreign film and become more culturally enriched, you should watch…

4. Bon Cop, Bad Cop

This is a Canadian film partly in English and partly in Quebecois French that I originally had to watch for my French class. I know what you’re thinking, why would I want to watch something that was given as a class assignment? But I can assure you this movie was fantastic! This film follows a French-speaking cop from Montreal and an English-speaking cop from Toronto who have to work together to solve a murder that occurred on the border between Quebec and Toronto. This movie will have you on the edge of your seat and laughing at the same time and learning about the common stereotypes between the two provinces. You might even pick up a little bit of French!

Happy spring break! 

Rising Sophomore at Hobart and William Smith Colleges. Planning on double majoring in Writing and Rhetoric and Media and society with a minor in French. I love doing makeup and shopping and exploring the world!