Recovering From Heat Damaage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

So you just washed your natural hair after it straightened. You notice that your texture is a lot looser and stringier than it used to be. It’s just what you worried about, heat damage. Heat damage is an issue that many natural beauties have to deal with but, here are some tips to get your curls and kinks popping again:

1.   Reduce the amount of heat you use.

You put yourself at risk for more damage by continuously using the flat irons or curling wands that gave you this problem in the first place. Eliminating all of these heat tools from your whole routine is the healthiest option for your hair. But, if heat is a must in your regimen there are some things that can still help. Turning down the temperature, heat styling less often, and using heat protectant will help prevent more damage.

2.   Deep Condition

It is so important to deep condition, even if your hair is not damaged. It helps to moisturize and strengthen hair so that the damaged parts do not break off. Look for natural products because they are the healthiest. You should look for phrases like, “ No Sulfates” or “ No mineral oil” on the packaging. Ingredients like coconut oil and shea butter are great as well.

3.   Do protective styles

It is important to do low manipulation styles so that you can retain length while you wait for the straight ends to grow out. Styles like buns, twist outs, wigs, braids, and faux locs are great options. Figure out what works for you and protect your hair.

4.   Trim your ends more frequently

Depending on the severity of the damage, sections of your hair may never revert. Your straight ends will start to weigh down the rest of your curls, so the best solution might be to let that hair go. Retaining length is not more important than health.

5.   Have patience

This process is going to take some time, and these tips will not change anything overnight. Don’t compare your hair to other people’s hair. Love what’s on your head and take care of it the best you can.