Thoughts of a Freshman After One Month of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

So, it’s been a month and a little more since I started my college adventure. It’s a lot like I expected, but also, not so much.

First of all: Organization is key. My mind has never been so cluttered before. I literally have a million things just running around in my brain at once. I feel like I’m constantly studying and doing homework and whatnot, but nothing ever actually gets done! You finished one assignment? Great! Time to get started on the next bunch. It’s like a never ending cycle of things I need to do.

Photo courtesy of Giphy

And then there’s my 8:00 a.m. class that I have four days a week. The sound of my alarm has become both my best friend and biggest enemy. Every morning consists of me telling myself, “Okay, I’ll give myself five more minutes in bed.” Then, five minutes later, I tell myself “Okay, two more minutes.” It’s just a vicious cycle, to be completely honest. I can’t really complain, though, since I did get myself into this. At least I’ve learned my lesson, though. Early morning classes are officially a big no-no for me.

Photo courtesy of Giphy

But now I’ll focus on the positives of my college experience thus far, to avoid sounding like a Negative Nancy who hates college, because it’s actually quite the opposite of that. I made a group of friends my second day here, and they’re all amazing people. I also love always having them so close by. Most of them live in the same building as me, so they’re usually just an elevator ride away! It’s like a 24/7 sleepover, if you know what I mean. Meeting up and hanging out with friends (when we don’t have other things to do, that is) is so much easier than it was in high school, which I 100% appreciate.

On top of that, this new freedom feels like a breath of fresh air. Of course, I love being at home with my family, but being here and knowing nobody’s going to take care of me has really helped me become more responsible this past month. Let’s ignore the fact that I did not eat a single vegetable my first two weeks here, though.

All in all, my first month here has been pretty neat, and I really cannot wait for the next four years.

Lillian Lu

Hofstra '22

Lillian is a freshman physician assistant studies major at Hofstra University. She loves her cat, shopping, and ramen!