“Swapping for Spring”: Revamp Your Wardrobe with ClosetDash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With spring semester in full swing, you may have set out some new goals for yourself. Whether it’s aiming for a 4.0 or trying to get up the courage to talk to that campus cutie in Lit class, we all want to accomplish our goals in style.

But maybe that job over winter break didn’t really beef up your bank account like you had hoped. One new NYC store has got you covered (literally) from head to toe. And the best part…its all for free!

ClosetDash on 30 East 20th Street Suite 402 in New York City is a “shop all about the swap”—clothes swapping, that is. Instead of throwing away old garments or donating them to a thrift shop, Closet Dash lets you swap out old items for new in a one-for-one trade.

“You get closet dash dollars for what you bring in,” explains ClosetDash founder Jennifer Lee. “Its great because you’re getting 100 percent value of what that piece gets you”.

Lee, who formally worked on Wall Street but “escaped by digging a hole under her desk during her very short water breaks” as her bio reads, thought of the swap concept back in early 2012 when she hosted swap parties around the city.

“It was a Craigslist type of thing where we’d have parties to get together and swap…I would act as a middle man in a way” Lee says.

After hosting swap parties all summer, Lee saw that clothing was the biggest seller and decided to open a shop. Thus, Closet Dash was born at an official opening on September 15, 2012.

From emerging spring trends like watercolors, sheer details and white to winter staples like black and leather, Closet Dash lets you swap out new trends for old without ever having to open your wallet.

“ClosetDash is unique because… rather than just getting money for your clothes, you get something else that will actually get wear” says Closet Dash intern and Hofstra junior Lauren Ricciardi.

The store is still in its fledging stage with only about 25% of their inventory on their website, but move approximately 150 to 200 pieces a week.

ClosetDash also hosts many in-store events to gain new customers. Their next event, called Style Your Body Type with Angela Denae of Style.Closet.Life., will be Wednesday, February 6th from 6 to 8 pm. Tickets are only $5 and all in-store purchases are 50%.

Making over your closet without murdering your budget? Sounds good to us!

For more info on ClosetDash, visit their website, closetdashshop.com and like them on Facebook.

A Boston girl living in New York, Sidney is a senior at Hofstra University double majoring in journalism and sociology. She's grown to love interviewing and feature writing after interning at  non-profits, Cosmopolitan Magazine, MTV News and the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC. She is the Campus Correspondent of HC Hofstra as well as an active member in the Hofstra Association of Black Journalists, Ed2010 Hofstra and the Society of Collegiate Journalists. She loves dancing with her on-campus team, Imani Dance Ensemble, and has an incurable addiction to shoes, Boston sports teams and Japanese barbeque. Follow Sidney on Twitter, @Sid_Madden!