Newest Fitness Trend Comes to Hofstra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

written by HC Hofstra contributor Abigail Pynn

Are you a fitness junkie? Do you love taking group classes? The new class featured this semester at Hofstra University’s Fitness Center is Koga!

If you like channeling your inner yogi and practicing your fighting moves then this is the class for you. And if you’ve never taken yoga or kickboxing that’s okay too—this class is open to all levels.

The “father of fusion fitness” and a certified martial arts black belt, Jon Koga, started this new workout. “Koga is a fusion class of kickboxing and yoga that incorporates strength, conditioning, balance and coordination,” says instructor Dana Fischer.

Here are the class basics. The first fifteen minutes of class is a warm up. Then there is around fifteen minutes of cardio. Next comes a little bit of a “yoga break”, as Dana describes. After that there is another cardio section followed by a relaxing yoga cool down.

Koga includes kickboxing moves such as punches and jabs. The yoga elements that are used during the class are centered on strengthening your core. Then there are special Koga moves, which really aim to sculpt your body. Hello flawless legs!

The class size varies between handfuls of people to fifteen or twenty people. It just depends how everyone is feeling that day. You can sign up for the class online through your Hofstra Portal.

Koga is an amazing workout that is new, fun and different. So, if you’re looking to spice up your workouts, come join Dana at the Hofstra Fitness Center Tuesday nights from 7:30 to 8:30 pm!

A Boston girl living in New York, Sidney is a senior at Hofstra University double majoring in journalism and sociology. She's grown to love interviewing and feature writing after interning at  non-profits, Cosmopolitan Magazine, MTV News and the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC. She is the Campus Correspondent of HC Hofstra as well as an active member in the Hofstra Association of Black Journalists, Ed2010 Hofstra and the Society of Collegiate Journalists. She loves dancing with her on-campus team, Imani Dance Ensemble, and has an incurable addiction to shoes, Boston sports teams and Japanese barbeque. Follow Sidney on Twitter, @Sid_Madden!