Intern Diary: Balancing School and Interning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It happens to the best of us. You walk into class, sit down and the professor starts discussing chapter 3 in your textbook, but you forgot to read it. It can be hard to keep up on your classwork when you’re interning, but remember school comes first and it’s important that you stay on top of your work. It may seem impossible fitting all of your classwork around your internship, but there are a few tips to pulling it off.

You want to make sure that you’re using all of your time wisely, even your commute. Most of us will be interning in NYC, which means we have a 40 minute train ride every morning and evening. Make good use of this commute and catch up on reading or study for a test. It may be more relaxing to sit back and listen to your music, but you’ll be glad when you don’t have to cram for a test the night before.

I know what you’re thinking; you don’t want to drag all of your textbooks to your internship and back. I don’t blame you. An easy way to fix that is to order ebooks for the semester you’ll be interning. That way you can bring just your laptop or tablet and have all of your books at your fingertips. Too late to order the ebooks? If your textbook is huge, make photocopies of the pages you need to read and bring those with you.