HU Approved: Movies We’re Buzzing About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Just because summer is long gone doesn’t mean the blockbusters have stopped. Hollywood is cranking out box office blowouts in all genres these days, from blood boiling action films and epic saga flicks to cute/corny rom-coms, here’s the movies Hofstra girls are loving and anticipating this fall season.

Film: Don Jon

Release Date: September 27th

Three words: Joseph. Gordon. Levitt. Yup, the lanky kid from Third Rock from the Sun is all grown up, looking devastatingly good, and making his directorial debut in this raunchy comedy about a modern day Don Juan with an ironic dilemma; his obsession with porn. Also starring Scarlett Johansson, Julianne Moore and Tony Danza, Don Jon is a perfect girls’ night flick that may give you more insight on the male brain.

Film: Runner, Runner

Release Date: October 4th

Proving once again that he’s a triple threat, Justin Timberlake shows off his acting chops as a grad student who goes after the online gambling king who swindled him. Traveling to Costa Rica to meet his match (played by Ben Affleck), JT is welcomed by a world of wealth, danger and high stakes. But as with any good thriller, not everything is as it seems.

Film: Gravity

Release Date: October 4th

This film is sure to blow your mind and take you out of this world (pun intended). Fair warning, if you’ve had childhood dreams of becoming an astronaut, this movie might scar you for life. As two astronauts (played by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney) go on a space walk around their shuttle, debris from neighboring satellites hits the area where they are working and detaches from their shuttle…aka LOST IN SPACE! And what happens next is even crazier!  If you love twist endings and 3D astronomical views, this is the movie for you.

Film: Carrie

Release Date: October 18th

This modern adaptation on the cult classic, the 1976 remake tells the story of Carrie White, a lonely outcast ridiculed by her peers and sheltered by her deeply religious mother, who discovers and unleashes her “telekinetic terror” on all her bullies at senior prom. With crazy special effects and a fresh face (Chloe Grace Moretz) as the creepy lead, this is not your parent’s horror flick.

Film: About Time

Release Date: November 1st

From the creators of “hit flick” powerhouse films like Love Actually, this late autumn release is perfect for a chilly date night idea. About Time follows the ordinary life of Tom with one extraordinary time hopping twist. Tom can go back and forth through time and change what happens and has happened in his own life. Along the way he meets, loves, marries, loses and remeets Mary. Its a lot to keep track of I know, but a heart warming tear-jerker none the less.

Film: Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Release Date: November 22nd

Sure to be a year-end blockbuster, Hunger Games: Catching Fire is the film everyone is waiting for! This second installment in the trilogy picks up right where the 2012 release left off. Katniss, played by Jennifer Lawrence, and Peeta, played by Josh Hutcherson, are fresh off their Hunger Games win, inspiring the repressed district she represents to rebel against “the Capitol”. My advice is prepare for lines at the midnight release now!

A Boston girl living in New York, Sidney is a senior at Hofstra University double majoring in journalism and sociology. She's grown to love interviewing and feature writing after interning at  non-profits, Cosmopolitan Magazine, MTV News and the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC. She is the Campus Correspondent of HC Hofstra as well as an active member in the Hofstra Association of Black Journalists, Ed2010 Hofstra and the Society of Collegiate Journalists. She loves dancing with her on-campus team, Imani Dance Ensemble, and has an incurable addiction to shoes, Boston sports teams and Japanese barbeque. Follow Sidney on Twitter, @Sid_Madden!