burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

How to Nail Your Perfect “Going Out” Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Going out has to be one of the greatest things in life (and I’m usually a home-stayer, trust me). However, there is not one outfit that works for every single occasion you have to go out. There are many factors you should consider when choosing the perfect outfit to go out. Keep reading, to find out how to nail your perfect going out look!

As you know, going out in the brisk of winter or on a warm summer day are two very different occasions that require very different outfits. In winter, you should go with a cute, cool top or shirt; clubs and bars are usually rather warm, despite the freezing temperatures outside. Pair it with a nice warm coat that you will keep you warm; you might even want to have some drinks “on the go” (I do this a lot with my friends: we go out and because we don’t stay in one place the whole night, we’re always scouting for new bars, pubs or stalls, buy our drinks and just stay outside chatting and drinking). Pair these with a nice pair of dark wash jeans and ankle booties or over-the-knee boots and you’re good to go. FYI – skirts or dresses are not my favorite choice of outfit when going out, but if you want to try it out, pair it with a pair of tights and a jacket!

Faux Fur Biker Jacket, available at H&M. Satin Camisole with Lace, available at H&M

When it comes to summer, it’s the perfect time to go wild. Loose tops, flowy pants, shorts, dresses… you name it, it all looks great and goes well with the temperature. But again, pay attention to the occasion: some parties have a more informal attire (i.e. beach party), in which denim shorts or loose pants are perfectly ok, as well as sneakers, flip flops or Toms, and you have other parties with a slightly more formal attire (i.e. club parties), in which you should go with dark jeans, pants or skirt/skort , a sophisticated top and some heeled sandals (or some very good, clean looking sneakers). The lace top above can also be a good option for either a formal or informal event.

Satin Camisole with Lace, available at H&M. Informal Option – Bermuda Shorts, available at Zara. Formal Option – Ruffled Skort, available at Zara

Overall, you should pay attention to these details when it comes to choose an outfit:

1. Fabric – this is very important, it helps to distinguish pieces of clothing appropriated for a formal event from the ones that are not.
  2. Cut – the way pieces are designed and the way they suit you are also important; formal events tend to favor tight or slightly loose pieces of clothing, disfavoring oversized pieces and encouraging form-fitting and/or flattering cuts.
  3. Color – believe it or not, color is also a defining factor when choosing an outfit; in the winter and in most formal events, neutral shades with slight pops of color in the accessories are the safest option. In the summer, even in formal events, bold colors are encouraged, but be careful with color clashes and overloads: one statement piece is ok, two or more is a risk.

When it comes to accessories, namely jewelry, choose a metal color and stick with it, adding pops of color as you see fit (beware of the color clashes between accessories and the outfit itself). Be careful when coordinating the accessories with the clothes, as some jewelry may damage your clothing.

That being said, be sure to stick with your style and use things that you’re comfortable with. No one wants to go out feeling uncomfortable, am I right? At the end of the day, be sure to wear what makes you feel comfortable and confident. 

Cover image courtesy of Pexels.

Ines is an international student from Lisbon, Portugal. She's part of the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus and also a member of the G-board, managing the chapter's Pinterest account. She's majoring in Applied Physics and minoring in Astronomy and Engineering. In her free time, she enjoys reading, watching movies, listening to music and hanging out with her friends. Follow her on Instagram and Snapchat: @inespontees