sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Pop Culture Halloween Costumes of 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

2013 is coming to close and what better what to sum up to a year of crazy pop culture highs and lows than by dressing like them? Here are some of this year’s best pop culture costumes. Walk into your Halloween celebration in one of these get-ups, and your outfit will need no explanation.

Minions from Despicable Me 2

This is an adorable 2013 group costume idea. Make sure you and your friends stay in character and speak gibberish the whole night as an added, comical bonus.

Lady Gaga

Mother Monster has been a pop culture icon for years now, but if you go all out and rock any of her epic VMA performance looks, your friends will undoubtedly be showering you with ‘Applause’.

Sharnado

Whether you make it at home with stuffed animals or buy the whole getup online, the Syfy’s cinematic practical joke from this past summer can be your ticket to winning “most creative” at any costume party.

Olivia Pope from Scandal

Scandal is one of the biggest shows of the year and  Ms. Pope is an incredibly easy costume to put together. Just throw on a perfectly tailored pantsuit, do your hair with a signature Olivia side swoop and keep your cellphone to your ear at all times to stay in touch with your gladiators and President Fitz.

Candy Crush

This game was one of the most downloaded apps of the year. (You know you’ve wasted countless hours stuck on Level 53). Pay homage to your mini-gaming addiction by dressing up like the sweet pieces.

Walter White from Breaking Bad

The series finale was in September but die-hard BB fans are still going strong. Borrow Walter White’s gas mask, glasses and apron for the night —and don’t forget his menacing grimace.

Kimye (with or without Baby North)

For a very relevant couples costume, grab an optional baby doll to hold and a pillow to stuff your butt for the Kim K effect. Grab your guy a huge gold chain and tell him not to smile for those nosy paparazzi. Make sure you two only dress in black white or nude and that your hair and makeup are on point! American royalty always look fabulous so you gotta ‘keep up’ the appearence.

Miley Cyrus

Teddy bear onesie + foam finger + platform sneakers + tongue out of your mouth = maniac Miley in a nutshell. The ex-Disney star had everyone talking after her VMA performance in August and if you bear it all without giving a f*** like she did, you’ll  definitely get the same reaction!

Got anymore ideas for 2013 Pop Culture costumes? Let HC Hofstra know in the comments below. Happy Halloween!

A Boston girl living in New York, Sidney is a senior at Hofstra University double majoring in journalism and sociology. She's grown to love interviewing and feature writing after interning at  non-profits, Cosmopolitan Magazine, MTV News and the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC. She is the Campus Correspondent of HC Hofstra as well as an active member in the Hofstra Association of Black Journalists, Ed2010 Hofstra and the Society of Collegiate Journalists. She loves dancing with her on-campus team, Imani Dance Ensemble, and has an incurable addiction to shoes, Boston sports teams and Japanese barbeque. Follow Sidney on Twitter, @Sid_Madden!