5 Struggles Only Hofstra Students Will Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

1. The Freshen’s lineYou could get in the Freshen’s line, finish your essay, tackle complex calculus equations, and memorize the syllabus for every single class before you could order your food. On a good day. I’ve often had to weigh my desire for a nutella-filled crepe and my hunger levels. If you want to venture on that god-forsaken line then you’d better be ready. Every Hofstra student knows that they’re not going to get on the Freshen’s line and make it to class on time. It’s an either or scenario.

2. Karaoke at HofusaThere’s nothing more nerve racking than public speaking. Or is there? Yep, it’s public singing. There’s no need to wait until the holidays for your parents to embarrass you when you can do it all by yourself. Just head over to Hofusa with your friends for a steaming plate of fries…and mortification.

3. Shuttle bus Maybe you’re on your way to the mall to buy a pair of those cute new boots you saw online, heading over to the city for a girls night out on Time’s Square, or you just want some cereal from Target. How to get there? Unless you’re one of the few blessed with a car, then you probably need to head down to catch the shuttle. You think that you’ve given yourself enough time to get there, but the elevator breaks down or you can’t walk fast enough in your flip flops and next thing you know you’re standing on the curb watching the shuttle bus chug away. Either you call an Uber, or take the walk of shame back to your room.

4. Hofstra CatsCats! Your cry in confusion- “there’s no struggle with these cute, little felines.” Well, no there’s nothing wrong with them per say. The real struggle is the internal one as you have to resist the overwhelming temptation to pet them. They’re so soft and furry and- ugh! You could be late to class, racing past Bits and Bytes, and have a paper due in ten minutes, and you still have to stop to watch them scurry by. It’s only human nature to want to snuggle up to adorable animals especially with many of our own pets so far away. Yet, as friendly as these cats are, they’re still undomesticated, wild animals. Restrain yourself, Hofstrian, this is not the place.

5. Hofusa at one a.m.? Been there done that.It’s got to be the deadly combination of stress and homesickness. Or it’s the equally horrid mixture of essays and procrastination, but somehow, you’re ordering up a steaming, hot brownie with ice cream and a side order of large fries. Maybe you have a second of reflection when you hand over your swipe card, but the immediate desire for fast-food trumps that annoying logical voice inside you. It tastes like heaven and regret. If it doesn’t, then you’ll wake up in the morning and it’ll hit you hard. Don’t worry, we’ve all been there.

The struggle is real.

Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.