burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Eco Fashion Inspiration at The Recycling Factory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

I got lost in my wardrobe the other day. It wasn’t as exciting as C.S. Lewis had taught me, but at least I realized it was time for a proper spring cleaning. There is no point in filling your closet with clothes you never wear. A good rule is to get rid of everything you haven’t worn in a year (or didn’t even know you had). We all have shabby tees and jeans that don’t really fit, but sometimes letting go is hard. However, with just a little bit of imagination you can give new life to your favorite (ex-)garment.

I went hunting for inspiration to the Recycling Factory event at The Cable Factory with Mirva Mietala, a student of textile and clothing. The Recycling Factory, organized for the seventh time this spring,  introduces sustainable lifestyle in the form of ecodesign exhibitors, workshops and a “free of charge” market, where you can ditch your trash and and find treasures.

The designs were very innovative: men’s dress shirt collars turned into necklaces, shoes made of old rugs, earrings made of antique spoons. Some popular trends among the exhibitors were animal themes in prints and vintage-inspired jewelry with a modern twist.

I asked Mirva for some tips for second hand shoppers and trashionistas. For a quick wardrobe update she recommends trying a DIY graphic print: “I especially like the idea of print tights.”

When something is cheap or free, we may not be critical enough. Mirva reminds to pay close attention to the material: “Is it worn-out or dirty, what does the wash label say? You don’t want to buy any high-maintenance materials, because they easily just end up staying in the closet. And don’t settle for a piece of clothing that is ‘just ok’, unless you intend to modify it.”

So when you rummage through your closets, keep in mind these questions:

“Is this something I wear?””If not, could I turn this into something wearable?””If it doesn’t fit me, would someone else wear this?”

Don’t let your clothes rot in the closet! Customize them, swap them with your friends, or donate them to thrift shops. Don’t feed the moths, feed creativity instead.

The Recycling Factory Info