This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

First off, I want to start and say congrats on making it through this week! Whether you had midterms or essays due, congrats!

I also want to start off by saying I know it feels like I only write about how to improve your life without actually diving into it. Anyone can come out and say that if you do this, this, and this, you’ll have an amazing life. ‘Follow these three things and boom you’re healed.’

That is honestly not the case. I’m only 20 years old and I can tell you that most of this life is a struggle. 

You are going to have good days and you are going to have bad days, no matter what your perspective is on this life.

No matter what you are going through, I just want to remind all of you that healing is not linear. The lows teach us to be grateful for the highs, and the highs teach us how to be grateful for the lows that got us there. 

You’re allowed to be sad, you’re allowed to be mad, distraught, anxious, depressed. You should always allow those feelings a seat at your table. You should hear them out, and then let them leave, because they do not belong to you. 

I truly believe that it gets easier when you deal with the lows. That’s why we constantly go through them- because we have to learn how to struggle. But, that also does not mean that there aren’t ways to enjoy as many moments as possible. It’s just not as easy as saying ‘try this and do that.’ And that’s okay. Every single one of you is capable of every dream you have ever had. You are beautiful, young women, who are appreciated and loved.

You all deserve a fulfilling life so believe that you deserve it too.

Hello my lovely ladies! My name is Jaclyn and I am currently a junior at the University of Hawai'i. I am working towards my Bachelors of Science in Natural Resource and Environmental Management with a specialization in Plant Ecology and Conservation! In my free time, I love to do anything outdoors including hiking, going to the beach, free diving, and photography. I enjoy doing yoga, reading, painting as well as looking at plants!
Hawaii Contributor Account