What Your Favorite Instagram Filter Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Normal:  You’re too busy to spend time changing the colors on your pictures. What you see is what you get . . . we’re lucky you even took the three seconds to upload it. (Note: the exception to this rule is when you’ve taken a truly stunning photo and just can’t wait to hashtag #nofilter when you post it.)

Amaro: You take pride in the quality of your skin (because trust us, this filter always makes it look clearer).

Mayfair:  Your glass is half full. You already appreciate life the way it is . . . but it doesn’t hurt to make it a tiny bit brighter.

Rise:  You play soccer, or tennis, or lacrosse . . . and if you don’t, you should, because this setting makes those varsity letters look even cooler than they already did.

Hudson:  Blue is your favorite color and there’s nothing you love more than reading next to a window during a rainstorm.  Or your blog.

Valencia: You’re a hopeless romantic, and spring is probably your favorite time of year.  If not for the fresh flowers and overall cuteness, then at least for the pastels.

Sierra: If this is your go-to, we’ll bet you’re probably snapping most of your Instaphotos during your early morning runs or on nature retreats. Sunrises and frolicking bunnies look particularly darling in this filter!

X-Pro II: You prefer to strike it rich — vibrant colors over pastels and decadent sweets over savory treats, and you’re not afraid to speak your mind.

Willow:  You should have been born in the 1950s and The Wizard of Oz is probably your favorite movie.

Lo-Fi: You’re all about the dramatic effect. You’re putting your photos on Instagram for a reason, and it’s just that: making them bolder, fresher, and as eye-catching as possible.

Earlybird:  You like old movies, tea, and Frank Sinatra, and you cry every time you watch Gone with the Wind.

Sutro:  We’ll be that fall is your favorite season that you love to travel.  Hint: purple and Istanbul look the best in this filter.

Toaster: This one says less about you and more about the photo you’re set on Instagramming, let’s be real. The picture came out a teensy bit darker than you were anticipating, and the only way to make it clear enough for posting (and viewing larger when you share it on your Facebook) is to get that nice toasty glow going in the middle of it. (Yep, we’re on to you.)

Brannan: You define yourself as artsy, hipster, and/or an avid shopper at Urban Outfitters.

Inkwell: You may be new to Instagram, or all the filter options are just overwhelming. You like to keep things simple and classic and you realize that most photos just look better in black and white.

Walden:  We have a sneaking suspicion you liked coloring with cray pas when you were little . . . or now.

Hefe: You like sunrises, sunsets, and most likely, long walks on the beach.

Nashville:  Summer is your favorite season, and most specifically, that Rascal Flatts concert is a national holiday for you.

1977:  Nothing good comes from this filter unless you’re in bellbottoms.  Kudos to you if you’ve tried.

Kelvin: Your summer tan is fading fast if not long gone, and you desperately want to fool us into thinking you’ve managed to keep it last all the way into the winter months. (Hate to break it to you, but we’re just not falling for it.)

Michelle is a senior at Harvard College hailing from Long Island, New York. She is pursuing a degree in Comparative Literature with a minor in English and special focus fields in sleep deprivation and procrastination. At any given moment, you are most likely to find her racking up points on her Starbucks Gold Card, writing by the Charles River, or stalking Boo's latest photo shoot. Michelle couldn't be more excited to be part of the Her Campus team and bring HC to life on Harvard's campus, and she would love to hear from you with any feedback!  
Amanda is a member of the class of 2014 at Harvard from Connecticut, pursuing a degree in English with a secondary in Government and a citation in Spanish. When she is not planning her next trip, she can be found hidden in the back of a coffee shop working on her novel. Amanda is passionate about singing, theater, travel, and her family and is so excited to be working with Her Campus!