Not So Dolce

It was Friday afternoon in Venice, Italy, and I had spent my entire day indoors drinking coffee, snacking, and doing school work. Even my bottom was telling me to get off of it, so I banded some friends together and set out on a little journey through narrow walkways and over crab- and-jellyfish-filled canals. Inevitably, we ended up at San Marco, and since we had time, we decided to go into several stores. Mind you, these were high class designer stores, like Prada, Louis Vuitton, and Gucci.

We walked into Dolce & Gabbana, where the interior design was stunning and far from some modern, contemporary style. We walked with googly eyes until arriving upon a little red statement satchel. From the front it looked fine – perhaps a bit too busy for women of our taste – but then we saw the side panel. It read “I’m thin and gorgeous!!”

We were pretty shocked. I thought that in 2018 a major luxury designer would have more class. I thought that in 2018 some brands would take the lead in changing the world for better for women, especially in terms of oppressive molds women are often trained they must exist in. I thought that at least Dolce & Gabbana would appeal to a wider market, but I understand that little has truly changed, especially in these top designer brands.

I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt: maybe the phrase is about the bag being thin and fabulous, but I doubt it.

Online, this angle of the bag isn’t shown. Perhaps that’s why D&G hasn’t been called out for this.

My friend said in that moment, “Wow. I can’t now, but I’ll never buy from here.” If only brands and designers could recognize that a woman can be fabulous if she’s more than thin. If only brands and designers could recognize that a woman can be fabulous for more than her body, however it sizes and shapes up.