Meet Joyce Zhou, a New Chapter Writer!

This semester, Her Campus Harvard has recruited a few new chapter members. Joyce Zhou is one of our new chapter writers! She is a freshman from Naperville, Illinois, and she is interested in studying History and Science. We asked her some questions about herself, and it is safe to say that this young woman is ambitious, driven, and will contribute so much to the community here at Harvard, as well as Her Campus.

What relevant experience do you have? And how will you use it as part of Her Campus Harvard?

I hope to be able to contribute my extensive background in writing to this program. I was heavily involved with writing extracurriculars in high school, especially creative writing and essay writing, which I aspire to continue to build upon throughout my time at Harvard. In the past, my work has been recognized by the New York Times, Teen Vogue, Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, Penguin Random Press, among others. I also served as the editor-in-chief of my school’s literary magazine as well as a national editor for Polyphony HS. Thus, supported by my background and dedicated interest in writing, I believe the extent of my experience and skills would serve as invaluable resources and assets as a member of Her Campus.

What is something you are passionate about? 

Writing! I love creative writing especially, and throughout the years, it has allowed me to reflect, explore, and engage in my life in much more meaningful and purposeful ways.

What are some things you are involved in on campus?

I am involved with Green Medicine Initiative, which is a student-run organization that combines medicine, sustainability, and global health to promote environmentally-friendly healthcare practices. I am also an active member of Women in Computer Science, which is a club dedicated to empowering women to consider careers in technology by providing education, mentorship, and role models for students at Harvard as well as in the greater Boston community.

What is the way to your heart?

Good conversations.

Favorite books, songs, movies?

I enjoy many different genres of media, so my favorites are often ever-rotating. However, Tarfia Faizullah’s Seam and Ocean Vuong’s Night Sky with Exit Wounds are definitely staples that I go back to over and over again. I love discovering new works, so I am always open to recommendations as well!