This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

We’ve all heard about the flu that’s been going around. Between the death rates and the skyrocketing hospital visits, it is clear that this is no ordinary flu. It is said to be the worst strain yet. The strain is H3N2 and is able to maneuver well around the human body’s immune system and does more damage than the normal flu would. According to the Washington Post, those who are most affected by the flu are the very young, the elderly, and people with certain chronic health conditions. Most people who have the flu fall within these categories while it has caused 63 pediatric deaths.

It is imperative that we take precautions against the flu especially because the vaccine itself does not prove to be the only answer. The CDC claims that it is, overall, only 36% effective.

3 Things You Can Do Every Day To Keep the Flu At Bay:

1. Be aware of the symptoms and monitor your body

Some of the symptoms include muscle or body aches, sore throat, cough, headaches, and fatigue. Some people may also experience fevers.

2. Avoid germs.

Don’t shake hands. Avoid sick people. Carry an alcohol-based hand sanitizer and use it after touching doorknobs, elevator buttons, etc.

3. Wash your hands as much as possible.

You can never be too careful, especially with this strain of flu. Cleanse your hands thoroughly and constantly.

Her Campus at Hampton U wants to make sure that you stay healthy this flu season!

Her Campus Contributor Account 
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.