BAND Midtermsjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BAND Midtermsjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Midterms, Homecoming, and Homework: How to Navigate the Spookiest Season Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Ah yes, it is October once again. Leaves are falling, homecoming is around the corner, and things are getting spooky, and I’m not just talking about the skeletons and jack-o-lanterns. We’ve got midterms. We’ve got cascades of homework. All this is in the midst of one of the biggest months in the academic year. Homecoming week is rapidly approaching, and with it come the parties, football games, and other festivities. Not to mention, you need to figure out what to wear and who to hang with. All in all, October is a big month as a college student; but not to worry, I’ve got a few tips to help you navigate this month. 

Develop a study plan

Chances are that you’ve heard this before, but it still reigns in importance. Make a study plan or place events and assignments on a calendar for organization and efficiency. This is true, however, when you delve in deeper, you will realize just how useful developing a study plan can be. The first major step is to outline significant events throughout the month: it could be a homecoming game on the 9th and then a midterm on the 13th. Next, you may want to highlight homework and project due dates so that you’re aware of said upcoming due dates. Finally, and maybe most importantly, develop a study/work schedule. Plan ahead for when you will work on assignments. If you have a massive project due the day after homecoming, work on it ahead of time, even if it’s only fifteen minutes a day. This way, you aren’t cramming the night before or have to miss the homecoming event. Don’t hesitate to get work done; it only hurts you in the long run. 

Practice self-care

As important as it is to do well academically, make sure you develop a plan that includes self-care. College can be stressful, and when you throw in midterms, studying sessions, and football games, it can feel very overwhelming at times. To be a good student, it is imperative that you don’t burn yourself out. To be all gas and no brakes, while it’s efficient in the short-term, may be harmful in the long term. Dedicating all your time to academics and constantly stressing yourself out won’t be beneficial as time goes on. This could look like taking an hour-long break after studying for a midterm or watching a movie with a friend after submitting homework assignments. Whether self-care means taking a bubble bath or watching Netflix, make some time to work on your mental health. At the end of the day, you should be your top priority. 

Keep stress to a minimum 

Stress is something that plagues all college students to some extent. No matter what college you attend or what you’re majoring in, juggling a healthy social life, a good sleep schedule, and staying on top of your work is not easy. However, doing it correctly is essential to your well-being. Keeping stress to a minimum ties into self-care; take a deep breath, re-evaluate why you’re stressed and what you can do about it, and don’t forget to ask for help when you need it! One of the best resources in college is the network of people who can help. Whether it’s a friend, a counselor, or even a professor, reach out when you’re stressed. For example, you can join a study group or find a tutor if you’re concerned about a midterm. If you’re feeling anxious, be sure to take a step back and take a break. Take a deep breath of that crisp, fall air, relax, and have a happy, healthy spooky season!

Zoë Westlund

Hampton U '25

Zoë Westlund (she/her) is a third-year education major at Hampton U from Manhattan, New York. When she's not writing or studying, she enjoys traveling, hiking, and going to the beach.