Campus Celebrity: Yinde Newby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Her Campus Hampton U got the chance to sit down with our own HC member, Yinde Newby! Yinde is a GRADUATING senior, Journalism & Communications Major, English minor on the pre-law track from Harlem, New York, and she just published her own book. Yinde is a go-getter, a great friend, an excellent writer and she’s destined for greatness! Read below to learn more about her.

HC: What’s your biggest inspiration?

YN: My biggest inspiration is Trayvon Martin, and Khalief Browder actually anyone who died through an act of injustice. Because that’s why I’m here, to fix that.  My biggest inspiration is the people who never got the chance to make it to the point I’m at now.

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

YN: I just founded an organization called S.I.S which is a program geared towards the empowering and shaping of high school females from low income households. I am also Miss Pre-Law 17-18, a member of Stay Woke Wednesday, the Her Campus Community Service Chair and a contributing writer, and I’m a part of Hampton University’s Senate.

HC: What are some of your aspirations?

YN: Some of my aspirations are to fix this broken justice system, to be financially stable by the age of 30, to never cancel myself out of opportunities that God sees fit for me and to truly cultivate my faith and walk with God because I have a relationship but it could be better.

HC: Where did you get the inspiration to write your book from?

YN: I was inspired to write my book by Iyanla Vanzant, I read almost all of her books before I wrote my own. I also wanted to write a blog post about becoming 21 but then I realized that a book made more sense because I had a lot to say.

HC: What’s something most people don’t know about you?

YN: Something most people don’t know about me is that I am a hard worker. Yes, I work hard in school obviously but I held down 4 jobs my junior year of college and still made Dean’s List. I currently work two jobs but still, I’ve always been a hustler.

HC: What’s your favorite A-Boogie song and why?

YN: Jungle has to be my favorite A-Boogie song because I literally am in the jungle. The song talks about growing up in a wild place where you must protect yourself and your peace at all costs, that’s forever my vibe.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

YN: I see myself graduated from law school, working on civil rights cases for those who can’t afford an attorney. I think the first thing I want to do once I’m set is to give back within the first couple of years before I start breaking barriers. The end goal is always to be a district attorney for the Supreme Court but until then I want to do local work in impoverished areas.

HC: Describe your ideal man.

YN: Bearded and God-fearing *laughs* but if you want me to be more specific, my ideal man is a man who supports all my dreams and who loves Black rights just as much as I do. Someone who oils my scalp as I oil his beard. Someone who allows me to be myself, someone who wants my success more than I do. Someone who isn’t afraid to be loved. Yeah, my ideal man is a man who’s ready to be a man.

HC: What’s one thing you don’t like about Hampton’s culture that you wish could change?

YN: There’s a couple of things I don’t like about Hampton’s culture. The fact that everything is so damn cult run and the fact that rape is something that happens but nobody is working to stop it. The fact that we attend an HBCU where they thrive off of separation into sub-sectors based on region, class, and major makes me uncomfortable. Yeah, it’s different but it’s all a way to separate us. Rape is [also] a huge issue and I’m so tired of going to a school that protects the brand before they protect the victim.

HC: What’s your favorite candy?

YN: Swedish fish omg I love them! I love gum too, Bubble Yum Cotton Candy or Original from Walmart in the 10-pack for 1.00 be clutch!

HC: If you could leave Hampton being known for one thing, what would it be?

YN: I would want to be known for never folding, no matter how many people change and conform to the “Hampton woman.” I want to be confident in knowing that I don’t fit [any] mold but I can still be just as successful.

HC: How do you find time to balance everything?

YN: God. Honestly, prayer has led me to sanity. Without prioritizing and forcing God at the beginning and end of every day I wouldn’t be able to balance anything. Everything is systematic, once you get into the habit of things you tend to make adjustments.

HC: What’s your mantra?

YN: A masterpiece mastering peace.

HC: J. Cole, A Boogie, or Wale?

YN: J. Cole is my husband by default. But honestly, A-Boogie is my mood 25/8 and Wale is just an underrated poet, but if I had to choose Jermaine takes the cake.

Her book is available for purchase on Barnes & Noble, Kindle, and Amazon so go ahead and get yours today! To keep up with Yinde follow her on social media on Instagram and Twitter.

Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.