This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

It’s finally the start of a new year and a new semester. After a nice and relaxing winter break, it’s now time to go back to school and get back into our daily routines as university students. I’m a major skincare freak and I love to pamper my skin whenever I get the chance. However, during the school year I find that it can get hard to balance school work and extracurriculars along with skincare (I almost always break out during exam season!). So, if you find that you have absolutely no time to run to Sephora every week for a new face mask, or can’t bring yourself to leave the vicinity of your home, here are some DIY face masks all made from food!

1. Honey-Avocado Hydration Mask

Avocado contains many antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents to help your skin stay smooth, strong, and elastic. Many store-bought face masks contain avocado oil because it is such a great natural product for dry skin. Additionally, honey has strong anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can help acne-prone skin (it also smells super sweet!).

1. Mash one quarter of an avocado in a small bowl.
  2. Stir in one tablespoon of honey, mashing and mixing well.
  3. Apply the mask to clean and dry skin.
  4. Leave on for 10 minutes.
  5. Rinse off with lukewarm water, then moisturize.

2. Egg-White Lemon Brightening Mask 

Egg whites contain minerals and vitamins that can brighten and benefit the skin’s overall complexion. Adding lemon juice to egg whites not only helps brighten the skin, but also helps with acne and oily skin due to the juice’s anti-bacterial properties.

1. Add one egg white into a small bowl.
  2. Using half of a lemon, squeeze the juice into the bowl and mix thoroughly with the egg white.
  3. Apply a thin layer to the face using a facial brush or cotton pad.
  4. Leave on for 10 minutes.

3. Apples-Oats Exfoliating Mask

Apples are rich in vitamin C and copper, which are both beneficial for the skin. Vitamin C in apples helps to restore the collagen content of the skin, which maintains the skins’ elasticity. The copper is important to help maintain melanin production in the skin, which protects it from harmful UV rays from the sun- a natural sunscreen! Adding oatmeal to the mixture will give a gentle exfoliating effect to smooth wrinkled patches and clear away dead skin.

1. Measure 2 tablespoons of applesauce into a small bowl (you can make your own applesauce too!).
  2. Add 1 tablespoon of honey.
  3. Microwave the mixture in five second intervals until the honey begins to dissolve.
  4. Stir in 2 tablespoons of oatmeal and mix well.
  5. Let the mixture cool, then apply the mask onto clean, dry skin.
  6. Leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water, then moisturize.

4. Yogurt-Oats Mask for Oily/Combination Skin 

This yogurt-oats face mask is perfect for oily or combination skin. Yogurt has been used as a natural skincare product since ancient times. It can lighten blemishes and moles, tighten skin pores, and also clear acne! Adding oats to the mixture will help exfoliate the skin and clear away dust particles and dead skin.

1. Add 1 tablespoon of organic yogurt (unflavored) into a small bowl.
  2. Add 1 tablespoon of finely ground oatmeal and mix well.
  3. Add a few drops of warmed honey into the mixture and mix well.
  4. Apply the mask onto clean and dry skin.
  5. Leave on for 15 minutes.
  6. Rinse off with lukewarm water, then moisturize.

image sources:

https://www.pinterest.ca/paleohacks/

https://www.pinterest.ca/medicalnewstoday/

https://www.siobeauty.com/blogs/news/oatmeal-face-masks

http://livingprettynaturally.com/momssecretfacemask/

Angel Su

Guelph '20

I'm a third year at the University of Guelph studying biomedical sciences. I love playing the piano/violin, and drinking tea. I also enjoy reading, writing, and colouring during my spare time.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!