Questions You Need To Ask Yourself Before Bringing a Pet on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Bringing a pet to campus is a serious commitment but there are plenty of rewards! Here are some things you need to think about before you make a decision!

Am I allowed to have a pet on campus?

This question might seem obvious, but it’s important to know if your campus or landlord will allow pets. If not, there’s a chance you will be fined for having one. Even if you are allowed to have one there might be certain some rules you need to follow or paperwork you need to fill out.

Do I have time for a pet?

Pets require care. Depending on what kind of pet you get, you will need to devote time to feeding, grooming, walking, or playing. Being a college student means you already are dealing with a busy schedule and if you know you don’t have time for any other responsibilities, then it isn’t fair to get an animal you can’t care for.

What kind of pet fits my lifestyle best?

As mentioned previously, different animals require different types of care. A fish is a very low maintenance while a cat or dog requires more time and attention. Hamsters and guinea pigs require cages and are often happier in larger habitats than what can fit on a desk. There is also the question of what kind of animals your roommates are okay with. Living with friends who have cat allergies might be an indicator that a cat isn’t the best pet for you.

What will I do with the pet over breaks or after graduation?

Abandoning a pet isn’t okay. When you adopt you should be prepared to take care of the animal until they pass away. If you aren’t able to bring your pet home over breaks then you should seriously consider if having a pet is fair to that animal. If you are planning on living in an apartment post-graduation, you also need to consider if your landlord will accept pets. Fish and cats are often okay in apartments, but dogs can be more difficult. Of course, these things can be worked around, but it is important to think about!

Do you have enough money to care for an animal?

Pets can cost a lot of money depending on what you are getting. A dog is more expensive than a fish and I’m talking about well beyond initial adoption fees. Can you afford food, medicine, vet appointments, toys, and any additional costs that might occur? It is important to understand that pets are living creatures that deserve love and care. If you cannot provide that for them, it would be better to wait until you are more stable to adopt one.

Adrienne Poissant

Gettysburg '22

Adrienne is a senior at Gettysburg College studying political science and religious studies. Besides being a Campus Correspondent, she is involved in the wind symphony, Model United Nations, and enjoys reading and writing for fun!