This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Being a feminist is a daring adventure. It is a movement that represents all of women-kind. Women from all backgrounds, races, and  ethnicities and come together to represent to push for the change that allows women to be seen as equals to all. But, it is much different when you are black, or any women of color.The art of being a black feminist is much more intricate than our white counterparts. It has more rules and limitations even though we claim we are all moving towards the same goals.

The truth is that white feminism comes with privileges that feminists of color simply don’t have. White feminists don’t always acknowledge their privilege, this should be changed. Race relations shouldn’t be ignored since it is obviously a common and present issue. Women of color are constantly using their platforms to express what needs to be changed, even if it doesn’t affect them directly, it is just something that we’ve learned to do.

Yes, our struggles are different. A white, middle class women does not call for the same changes as a black, gay woman. They just don’t. While a white women is calling for equal pay, most POC advocates are calling for things better funding for inner-city schools and stopping police-brutality.  It seems more like the white women are calling to be included in the system, while POC women are still trying to prove that the system is broken and should be revamped completely. 

It isn’t that white feminist are not doing good, or that their work doesn’t matter. They are getting noticed and publicity for the works that do and it is amazing! It’s just that we are constantly having to put ourselves in our own categories to be seen and feel important. Internationality is great because creates a space for us, and it should always be that way. All feminists should be considered the face of feminism. No one should have to speak on the behalf of someone else when there is so many well qualified women to do it themselves!

Feminism is a movement that was created to represent the equality of all women. Women from all backgrounds, races, and  ethnicities and come together to represent to push for the change that allows women to be seen as equals to all. This doesn’t just mean equal pay or equal opportunity, it also covers equal healthcare, equal education, and equal treatment. The art of being a black feminist means that we are always fighting for all aspects of feminism and true equality for women-kind.

Sidney Taylor-Reynolds

Georgia Southern '20

Sidney Taylor-Reynolds is a writer anc current VP for Her Campus Georgia Southern. She enjoys writing about tips that can help you in all aspects of life. Outside of Her Campus she studies Interior Design at GSU and is also a member of the Atlanta Jamaican Association. Her other passions include drawing and painting, music, and traveling! Follow her on Instagram @sidneylauren  
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.