Meet Hannah Skvarla, Co-Founder of The Little Market

Source: thelittlemarket.com

How did you get your start in the fashion industry?

I graduated from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM) with a degree in Merchandise Marketing and received her bachelor’s degree from Chapman University’s Film & Public Relations Program.

Have you always been passionate about global causes?

When I was growing up social justice was a very important part of my life. I have always wanted to find a way to give back to women and children in need.  I have a passion for design, travel, and empowering women.  These elements all come together at The Little Market so that each supporter is changing lives.

What inspired you to go into this line of work?

While traveling Lauren and I met women artisans who were trying to support themselves and their families. Without access to a global marketplace they were not receiving living wages for their handmade goods despite their extraordinary skills.  We created The Little Market to give these women a place to sell their exquisite products at prices that allow them to support their families with food, shelter, education and healthcare.

What advice do you have for college girls looking to pursue a career in your field?

I highly recommend volunteering or interning at non-profits that do work you are passionate about. When I graduated from Chapman I interned at Human Rights Watch in Los Angeles.  You won’t even realize how much you learn until you apply the knowledge to starting your business. Change is possible, it is ok to be idealistic.

What is your favorite part of your job?

I am very grateful to have the opportunity to visit magical places, to visit with the artisans, and to develop products with them for The Little Market, knowing that their families and communities will be sustained by their work.

Is there anything else that you would like to add?

Making decisions about what to major in, what internships to pursue, & what work to plan for is really challenging.  When you pursue what really speaks to you, when you do what you love, and strive toward goals that really matter to you, you are certain to find meaning and purpose in your work.