This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

September is coming to an end, and while we’d prefer to be outside picking pumpkins or sipping cider, even though Virginia still thinks it’s summer (hey, a girl can dream, right?), we’re stuck in classrooms and libraries weighed down by homework. 

We can’t help it. We all have responsibilities, extracurriculars, projects, maybe even time to hit the gym a couple of times a week. Time for a full night of sleep is in high demand, but short supply. And if you’re anything like me, you’ve had a runny nose and scratchy throat since the fall semester started. 

Related: I Started Doing These 6 Healthy Habits And Here’s Why You Should Too

Flu season is upon us, collegiettes. 

Via Giphy 

But never fear! There are easy, cost-effective, dorm-friendly ways for you to stay healthy this year, and you’ve come to the right place to read about them. 

1. Get the Flu Shot

Getting the flu shot reduces your chances of getting the flu by 40-60%, which is nothing to sneeze at. There are lots of local options for every budget, including Mason’s Student Health Services and nearby drop-in pharmacies like CVS, Walgreens, and Giant. You can also enter your zip code into the CDC’s Vaccine Finder to find the best location for you! 

Via Giphy 

2. Catch Some Z’s

As a college student, I can personally say that a good nap really fixes everything. Lack of sleep weakens your immune system, so here’s your excuse to take a break from studying and get some well-deserved rest. If you start feeling under the weather, pushing yourself will only make it worse. Take your body’s hint when you start feeling tired and jump into bed instead! Trust me, you’ll feel much better in the long run. 

Via Giphy 

3. Harness the Power of Healthy Foods (and Vitamin Supplements)

A balanced diet comes with way too many health benefits to count, but an immune system boost is one of them! Your body needs healthy building blocks to help fight off diseases, and fruits and vegetables are full of the nutrients you need. Additionally, I personally swear by my vitamin supplements. I’ll admit that there’s no good, solid research to prove that vitamin supplements make me healthier without a shadow of a doubt, but it makes me feel better so I do it anyway. I’ve had a conversation with my primary care physician and had blood work done, so I know that I’m vitamin D deficient. I take a daily multivitamin and an extra dose of Emergen-C packets when I start feeling under the weather. Try it out, see what works for you!

Via Giphy 

4. Salt Water, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Tea

If you’re anything like me, your throat is the first thing to hurt when you’re getting sick. My mom always tells me to gargle with salt water, and who am I to question her when it usually works? If you don’t like the idea of a mouthful of saltwater, try apple cider vinegar to get at the nasty bacteria hanging out in your throat. And never underestimate the power of hot tea! I personally love licorice teas like Throat Coat that are specifically for sore throats, but any tea will give you some relief. 

Via Giphy 

Related: Self Love Coming into the College Environment

5. Keep Clean!

This applies year-round, but it’s extra important during flu season. Germs are EVERYWHERE — wash your hands. Alcohol-based hand sanitizer is your friend! Make sure your living space is clean, too. Chances are your roommate or friends who visit are bringing some nastiness into your area with them. Set up a cleaning schedule and stick to it. Also, make sure you’re cleaning reusable water bottles, utensils, and bedsheets after you’ve been sick to prevent getting sick again! 

Via Giphy 

Bottom Line: not getting sick is really all about taking care of yourself and listening to your body. Not even the flu can stop you now, collegiettes! 

Via Giphy 

Anna Bertino

George Mason University '21

Anna is a Communication major at George Mason concentrating in Public Relations and minoring in English. She is a social media editor for the HC George Mason chapter. Anna is also the president of Mason's Equestrian Club and Show Team. When not writing or riding, she can be found drinking tea, satisfying her sweet tooth, or planning her next vacation.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com