This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Photo courtesy of Emily Watson

In an era where women are often still expected to dress and look a certain way, Emily Watson has found a passion that transcends these ideals: pin-up modeling. The term “pin-ups” originated from soldiers receiving provocative pictures of women that they would literally pin up on their walls during the war. An iconic figure in history, pin-up girls represent confidence and feminism. In this interview with Watson, who is currently competing in the Miss Viva Las Vegas Pin-Up Contest, she explains how she got her start in the pin-up world and why it’s her passion.

What is the Miss Viva Las Vegas Pin-Up Contest?

“It’s an annual event at the Rockabilly festival, which represents the retro vintage scene. At Rockabilly there is a vintage car show, which is where Miss Viva Las Vegas takes place. People can vote for all of the women from all over the world online, and 12 of those women will be chosen to go onstage at the competition. The women that are chosen are the ones who embody the ideals of Miss Viva Las Vegas: diverse, accepting, poised and classy. The “old hollywood actress” ideals.”

How did you get into the pin-up modeling scene?

“I consider myself an old soul. I love jazz music and the overall style of that period. About 6 or 7 years ago I began watching YouTube tutorials on how to do vintage hairstyles and makeup, and that’s how I first discovered pin-up. Cherry Doll Face is one of the more well-known models and I watched a lot of her tutorials. She’s very laid-back, original and makes it look easy. I saw that she was doing a photoshoot at Viva, which was the first year I went. That year I didn’t know there was a contest so I signed up the second year. My stage name is “Miss Emmy de la Mer.”

Related: 8 Kickass Star Wars Women in Honor of Episode 8

Photo courtesy of Emily Watson

Who are some of your biggest inspirations?

“Bettie Page is kind of considered the queen of pin-up. She’s very edgy. Betty Brosmer is one of my biggest inspirations because she went from pin-up modeling to bodybuilding, and bodybuilding is one of my other passions. A lot of people think Marilyn Monroe when they think of pin-up, and a lot of models will mimic her look. It looks nice, but I personally don’t think it’s very original. I believe in having your own style, and I don’t like to mimic anyone. But the classics are there to inspire us and to help us create our own image.”

How has pin-up modeling empowered you?

“I’m naturally very shy and it’s helped me open up more and be myself. I call myself a pin-up artist, not necessarily a model. Even though we compete in a contest, all of the women in this community encourage each other. I also love how diverse it is. Everyone has their own version of the pin-up style. Depending on people’s nationalities, they might take their culture and use it in the style. It’s very accepting and I’ve met a lot of people, and I hope to meet more.”

Related: 3 Brands That Help Us Feel Put-Together All Day

How involved in the pin-up scene are you?

“Since so much of the scene is in the West Coast, like in California, it’s unfortunately not as big in the East Coast. But I try to do as many photo shoots as I can. This will be my third year at Viva, and my second year doing the contest.”

How has pin-up become such a big part of your life?

“It’s a little expensive, but it’s one of my passions. I feel comfortable in the clothes. I love antiques and anything vintage. It’s something that’s always been a part of me, but this is just an extension. When I put the clothes on, it feels like I’m a part of history. It’s like I’m time traveling.”

While it may be less talked about, pin-up modeling symbolizes acceptance, feminism, and originality that the world needs more of.  

Molly Feser

George Mason University '18

Molly is a Communication major with a concentration in Journalism at George Mason University. She loves Broadway, iced coffee, and The Office. She is also a sister of Alpha Xi Delta on campus. After she graduates she hopes to be an entertainment journalist.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com