george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why We Were So Invested in Kylie Jenner’s Pregnancy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

via In Touch Weekly

On Sunday, Kylie Jenner confirmed her mystery pregnancy and announced that she had a baby girl! Of course, in classic Kardashian/Jenner fashion, she made the announcement right before the Super Bowl started. For months, Jenner and her clan kept us in the dark with so many questions. Is she actually pregnant? Why is one of the most revealing celebrities keeping such a big secret? And mostly – why do we care?

It’s still a mystery how the family pulled off keeping silent on the pregnancy. Especially after watching Travis Scott’s and Jenner’s video, “To Our Daughter,” in which we see how many people actually knew about the pregnancy the whole time. What about the caterers and decorators that were at her lavish baby shower? Surely, they must have gone home and told at least one person in their family. And how did that person keep it a secret? Kris Jenner must have had a severe amount of contracts to hand out that day. However they did it, even though they weren’t talking about it, we were.

There are people who are massive fans and worship the Kardashian/Jenners like they’re royalty. I can’t genuinely say that I have ever been a fan of them or even really respected them. But I can admit that there is something fascinating about them. I remember watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians at ten years old with my mom when it first aired. A lot of people can say that they’ve grown up with Kendall and Kylie. They were relatable, even though we couldn’t really relate to them and their lavish lifestyle.Via The Daily Beast

Since the rumors started circulating, Jenner couldn’t even tweet or post a photo without everyone commenting “are you pregnant or not?” It was bizarre to everyone that the least private family in the world were suddenly being so hush-hush. Of course, they had every right to be. A pregnancy is supposed to be an intimate thing and the only people that should be involved are the people the mother wants to be involved.

“My pregnancy was one I chose not to do in front of the world,” Jenner said in her statement she released on Instagram. “I knew for myself I needed to prepare for this role of a lifetime in the most positive, stress free, and healthy way I knew how.”

Jenner goes on to explain in her statement that she wasn’t trying to play games with us and it was not meant to be a “gotcha moment.” Many people believed that, like a lot of things the Kardashians do, this was all for publicity. Which made caring about the whole situation that much more frustrating.

Because her public image is very much centered around social media, it’s easy for us to forget that Jenner has a private life and that we don’t really know her. If you’re like me, then you’re probably glad that she finally had the baby because the stress of pretending you didn’t care was pretty exhausting.

Molly Feser

George Mason University '18

Molly is a Communication major with a concentration in Journalism at George Mason University. She loves Broadway, iced coffee, and The Office. She is also a sister of Alpha Xi Delta on campus. After she graduates she hopes to be an entertainment journalist.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com