Why “Quantico’s” Priyanka Chopra Is a #GirlBoss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

By: Shabrina Parikh Via Hindustan Times

The first Indian to be the lead of an American show is none other than Priyanka Chopra, one of the most successful Bollywood actresses. She was crowned Miss World in 2000, and since then has won awards for her acting, been on the cover of Time’s 100 Most Influential People and was the first Indian woman to be on a Guess cover. Oh, and she won a “Padma Shri,” which is only the fourth highest civilian honor, no biggie. Here are some reasons why I am in awe of this chick.

Related: 8 Reasons Why You Need to Start Watching Quantico

1. She is vocal AF

Via Giphy

Priyanka is not known to bite her tongue. She has gone on record to voice her opinions on everything from the wage disparity between genders in Bollywood, to the sexism that is prevalent in India itself. She even spoke about the religious tension in Indian society, a taboo and dangerous topic for anyone to speak about. She has never feared speaking out, even in a country that’s as orthodox as India. What a badass.

2. She survived racism

Via Giphy

Priyanka came to the States for high school and was ridiculed for her skin color. Phrases like “Go back on the elephant you came in on” or “you stink of curry” were things she heard everyday. She faced racism again when she sang a song called “In My City,” which was played on the NFL Network‘s Thursday Night Football. She was called an “Arab terrorist.”  Yet, she persisted and did not let that experience scare her, then came back to the US years later to pursue her Hollywood career. She still tries to maintain her “Indianess” and uses her platform to educate others of the culture.

3. She knows her worth

Via Giphy

When first approached by ABC, she made two things clear: she only plays leads and she does not want to be reduced to the Indian stereotype. She knew she was a good actress and rejected Hollywood offers for years because she did not believe they were worth her time. She taught me that it is not necessary to jump at every cool opportunity. Secondly, she did not want to fuel the Indian stereotypes that she already despised. And kudos to her, she didn’t. Alex Parrish (her character in Quantico) is not even remotely a stereotyped character. She is fierce and proud of her roots, just like Priyanka herself.

Related: Brown Girl Stereotypes (that need to be cancelled)

4. She works her ass off

Via GFycat

Chopra doesn’t believe one occupation is enough. On top of being an actress, she is also a producer, model, singer and philanthropist. She recently created her own production company that encourages regional talent in India. After shooting for Quantico during the week, she flies down to India to shoot her Bollywood movies for the weekend. She somehow also fits in interviews, promotion for her movies, photoshoots and more. Not to mention, she takes frequent philanthropic trips. And to top it all off, she is also working on her album. Superwoman clearly does not believe in sleeping.

Related: 5 Reasons Judge Rosemarie Aquilina is a #GirlBoss

5. She uses her platform for good causes

Via Giphy

Chopra makes sure to fit in time for her philanthropy in the midst of her chaotic schedule. She is a Unicef Goodwill Ambassador and has taken multiple trips to Ghana and Zimbabwe to spend time with kids who were survivors of sexual violence. Chopra also has her own charity in India called “The Priyanka Chopra Foundation for Health and Education,” which funds education and medical procedures for girls and women who are unable to afford it. She has gone to multiple conferences to talk about these issues, and is working hard to make a change.  

Priyanka teaches her audience the power of hard work and determination. She came this far with no connections or training. I’ve seen her acting in Bollywood movies throughout my childhood, and the fact that she has become so successful is inspirational for me and many other Indian girls. She made Indians relevant in mainstream television, and for that, she will always be my role model.

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com