Milk
Milk
Alex Frank / Spoon

Why I Switched to Drinking Almond Milk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

I used to love milk. When I was a child, I drank strawberry milk so much my parents even gave me a nickname associated with it (that I won’t disclose due to it being a little embarrassing). It wasn’t until my sophomore year in high school that I began to drink Almond milk.

My mother, a health fanatic, kept sending me links about cow milk and how it isn’t really healthy for us. Now, I don’t know the validity of that, although a lot of research is being done about cow milk and its effect on the human body. I soon after began to get my caramel lattes from Dunkin Donuts with almond milk instead of regular milk. I was amazed by the difference in flavor! It tastes so much better than regular milk.

Soon after my change to how I took my coffee, I begin to buy almond milk for everything. It goes great with my cereal, it goes great with my tea and everything in between. I will say that unlike cow milk, I don’t typically drink almond milk alone.

Alone it just tastes like almonds mixed with water and flavor.

However, my stomach doesn’t really hurt after drinking almond milk which is a huge plus as before my almond milk enlightenment, my stomach would be a little rumbly after regular cow milk. The reason for this is probably because I’m a little lactose intolerant. Like a tinny bit, or at least that’s what I tell myself when I eat tubs of ice-cream or yogurt.

Now, I’m not going to say all almond milk is healthy because some of them have high volumes of sugar, but there are still a lot of benefits to drinking almond milk. It’s nutritious and holds a lot of different vitamins and minerals in it which makes sense being that it’s based from a nut. Like I mentioned before, it’s a perfect option for those who are lactose intolerant and want a substitute for milk. Especially for those who don’t want to drink soymilk which, in my opinion, doesn’t taste as good as almond milk.

Almond milk is usually low in calories; again, this depends on which brand you buy, etc. They come in a variety of different flavors. My favorite being vanilla (the only one I’ve ever tried before). There are a ton of different brands to choose from, my favorite being Blue Diamond Almond Breeze. Occasionally, I’ll get Silk Almond, but I usually stick to Almond Breeze because I like the taste and the name. Basic, I know.

Almond milk that isn’t sweetened typically doesn’t raise blood pressure. I, myself, just learned about this comparing regular cow milk to almond milk. It’s a very interesting fact. This makes it better for those with high blood pressure or conditions like diabetes.

Overall, almond milk just tastes great at the end of the day. That’s why I switched from cow milk to almond milk. 

Zeairah Webb

George Mason University '22

Zeairah is a senior at George Mason University. She spends most of her time reading, doing homework, and watching Netflix. Her favorite color is yellow and her favorite animals are dogs. She is double majoring in marketing and management with a minor in journalism with hopes of one day studying intellectual property law. She aspires to be many things such as a legal consultant/attorney, a creative director for Disney, or a travel/lifestyle writer for a magazine.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com