Why Hozier’s New Album is More Important than the Jonas Brothers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Everyone has been going crazy over the Jonas Brothers reunion and I do not understand why. Let me explain this to you like a breakup because it is easier to understand that way. You were in the perfect relationship and you were beyond happy. Then one day, it ends out of nowhere and you are heartbroken. That person finds another significant other, then over a period of time decides they want to get back together with you. The Jonas Brothers did this to us, but we have moved on for the better. We have moved on to Hozier… well at least those of us who are not currently obsessing over the Jonas Brothers.

Most people have no clue who Hozier is unless you mention one of his famous songs, specifically, “Take Me To Church.” Hozier recently came out with his album ‘Wasteland, Baby!’ It is a very powerful album and when you hear these songs you too feel empowered. One of his empowering songs in the album is “Nina Cried Power.” This song was created to bring awareness to our civil rights and how it was fought for. This song was created to show we can still fight for what we want and for what is right. We have the power to accomplish what we want through those who had it before us.

Mavis Staples was featured in “Nina Cried Power” to show her own personal empowerment. Brooker T. Jones also helped out with this song and the album. If you do not know who Mavis Staples is, she is a rhythm and blues and gospel singer who was inducted into the Hall of Fame. Many people do not know she is a civil rights activist. She may be all of these things, but more importantly, she is a representation of empowerment. Empowerment for women and the Black community. Hozier is a genius for portraying her and others in this album.

His album name is also called “Wasteland, Baby!” This is an accurate phrase for what our world is going to look like in about five years. Our political, economic and social system are all corrupt and we are slowly destroying our world into a wasteland. This beautiful album has various songs from rhythm and blues to rock and alternative. Various genres to reach out to various people who listen to them. Did I mention Hozier is a genius? The Jonas Brothers? Eh

I actually did take time out of my day to listen to The Jonas Brother’s song, “Sucker”. All I can say is I was a sucker for falling for the back in 5th grade. The song had no spaz or crucial meaning. Although I loved their song “Burin Up” and their songs and acting in Camp Rock, it is not the same anymore. The song “Sucker”, like the other million love songs does not come close to Hozier’s piece or maybe I am still heartbroken? Nope, not at all, I have moved on to Hozier and he is good for me and the world. I highly recommend listening to Hozier’s album and really understanding the meaning behind all the songs.

Make sure to check out Hozier’s new album, collegiettes!

Olivia Reed

George Mason University '22

Olivia Reed Just a Communications major trying to speak truth through my writing.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com