What The ‘‘Mean Girls’’ Musical Gets Right (and Gets Wrong)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Via Broadway.com

The hit 2004 film was made into a musical adaptation that’s sure to be just as big of a hit. ‘‘Legally Blonde,’’ ‘‘Bring It On’’ and ‘‘Heathers’’ have had their transition from screen to stage. Now ‘‘Mean Girls,’’ with a book written by Tina Fey, is taking a turn. Before it starts its previews on Broadway in March 2018, ‘’Mean Girls’’ made a stop at the National Theatre in Washington D.C. from October 31st through December 3rd.

The show will most likely make some tweaks before it goes to Broadway in 2018, but it’s definitely working already. It’s hard to live up to such an iconic and quotable movie, but the musical holds its own with its flashy showstoppers, hilarious dialogue and creative set.

Here’s what the musical does right and what could use some work.

What It Gets Right

Via Broadway.com

The comedy

If you’re a fan of the movie and worried about whether the play lives up to the hilarity of the original script – don’t be. The musical contains just as many laughs as the movie, and there’s something about laughing with an audience in a sold-out show that adds to the joy of it. SOME of the jokes from the movie are kept in the play, but what makes it really funny is the new dialogue that’s been added. This is probably because Fey returned to write the book, so it’s still that same type of humor.

The script

Some might not like this because they want change, which there is some of, but others might want to see the story they know and love. There’s nothing more disappointing than one of your favorite parts being left out of an adaptation because something new is added. There’s only minor plot changes (specifically in the ‘‘Jingle Bell Rock’’ scene), but all of the iconic quotes are kept, each one receiving a big reaction from the audience.

The cast

Those that are pretty familiar with the Broadway world will probably know some of the incredible cast. Erika Henningsen (Cady Heron), Taylor Louderman (Regina George), Ashley Park (Gretchen Wieners), Kate Rockwell (Karen Smith), Barrett Wilbert Weed (Janis Sarkisian) and Grey Henson (Damian Hubbard) all steal the spotlight in their own ways. Their high-belting voices and comedic timing is reason alone to go see the show.

The musical numbers

The characters are colorful enough in the movie, but put them in a musical and give them all their own show-stopping numbers and they really shine. From the beginning of the show when Cady first enters the wild world of North Shore High and is introduced to social outcasts Janis and Damian (who are both arguably the biggest stand-outs of the play), you’re promised a fun and colorful show ahead. The theatricality of Damian is expanded in his big number ‘‘Where Do You Belong,’’ perfect for a Broadway musical. Regina is memorably introduced with the hilarious and catchy refrain ‘‘My name is Regina George, and I am a massive deal…’’ The show even incorporates Karen’s famous sexy mouse scene in the fun number ‘‘I Can Be.’’

Related: University Feelings as Told By Mean Girls

What It Gets Wrong

Via Broadway.com

Some of the iconic characters from the movie

Something that might leave you feeling a little short-changed are some of the characters that you know and love from the movie. Kevin Gnapoor, the hilariously confident and rapper-mathlete, is a little watered down in the show. His rap in the Christmas talent show is much shorter and his one-liners aren’t as funny. You also might be a little disappointed in Regina’s mom. While she is more three-dimensional in the musical, even given a first name, her introduction scene is not as funny as Amy Poehler’s memorable portrayal. The ‘‘I’m not a regular mom’’ quote just doesn’t have quite that same delivery. Although, she is given a nice song in the second act that makes up for it.

The references aren’t as updated

The show could make a few revisions on the references before it starts its previews. While it does make a nod at President Trump at one point, bringing the house down, it could be a little more culturally current to show that it is 2017, not 2004. Even the costumes seem like they came straight out of the movie, which we know is from a very different fashion era than we are in now.

‘‘Mean Girls’’ the musical starts its previews on Broadway at the August Wilson Theatre on March 12, 2018 and officially opens April 8th.

Molly Feser

George Mason University '18

Molly is a Communication major with a concentration in Journalism at George Mason University. She loves Broadway, iced coffee, and The Office. She is also a sister of Alpha Xi Delta on campus. After she graduates she hopes to be an entertainment journalist.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com