Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What it’s like Dating with Anxiety as Told By “Mean Girls”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Via Heat World

If you have anxiety, you’ll understand the struggle that comes with dating that other people just don’t understand. Dating is one of the scariest things a person can do. Period. So to help people better understand, I’m using Mean Girls to help explain the dating sphere in the eyes of someone with anxiety.

1. Dating…you don’t even want to do it in the first place

Via Giphy

If you have anxiety, this gif is a representation of the internal struggle we all feel going on dates. Everytime I go on a date I think, “I want to leave, maybe I can have my parents just put me in an arranged marriage, maybe dying alone is a better alternative.” Yet, against all odds, we find ourselves actually agreeing to go on dates, regardless of the fact it’s one of the most nerve racking things a person can do.

2. Why does it take me so long to get ready? I need an extra hour to pick at every detail of my outfit.

Via Giphy

I’m pretty sure before I can even go on a date I need to do at least 3 outfit changes minimum, put a gallon of concealer on that one zit (because we all know if he knows I have zits, he might as well ask for the check now) and aggressively brush the life out of my hair all while constantly checking my phone for texts.

3. When he asks you literally anything

Via Giphy

Wait you wanted me to actually talk? Sorry, while you’ve been talking about how amazing your internship is, I’ve been white knuckle gripping the table trying not to pass out. What do I even say? What If I say the wrong thing? What if my voice sounds weird?

4. Kissing,hugging, holding hands, eye contact? Are you crazy?

Via Giphy

Any form of contact that somehow acknowledges I am indeed human and alive is strictly prohibited. Kissing? Nope. Eye-contact? Never heard of her.

5. The feeling after a date is like I got hit by a bus

Via Giphy

I’m sore from my tense muscles. I’m tired from my heartbeat staying at a constant 100 BPM the whole date. Yet, despite the panic, the uncomfortable feelings, the urges to vomit, most dates even if they were a flop I can say we’re worth it.

Anxiety is awful, especially in dating but to rise above it and to go out is something I can always consider a win.

Hannah Kanfer is a communication major with a concentration in journalism at George Mason. She is originally from Avon, Connecticut. She has a passion for writing and art and hopes to one day have a career where she can use her creativity to the fullest.