This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It was March; COVID-19 hit and all of the gyms closed which left me unable to continue my normal workout routine. As someone who tries to work out at least three times a week, this STRESSED me out. I didn’t want to lose all of the progress I had been making, but I obviously couldn’t exercise in the same capacity that I had been. So, I decided that I would try running. I hated running at the time, so it was a reluctant, but necessary decision.

I downloaded the 10K Runner app and began running. The app has you run and walk in timed intervals. It starts you out running short periods of time and mostly walking, and then advances to more running and less walking. At first, I didn’t find it too challenging. Once I had to start running for 20 to 30 minutes at a time, it really required a lot of effort and determination. I didn’t necessarily start this journey in hopes of competing in a 10K, but I wanted to push myself and I truly learned a lot from it.

It’s hard, but it isn’t impossible

Building up my stamina to the level that I did was physically one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I’ve never been naturally good at running, so it took my body a lot of adjusting. My legs had to develop new and stronger muscles and my lungs had to get used to the extra strain. It just takes time for your body to adjust and it won’t feel as daunting anymore.

A positive mindset is just as important before a run as preparing your body is

Don’t get me wrong, it is SO important to prep your body before you work out. This involves adequately hydrating, eating something an hour or so before to fuel your body, and stretching everything so that you don’t injure yourself. However, I think mentally preparing yourself is not something that should be overlooked. There were days that I dreaded having to go run, and those days I found myself not doing as well. If you have a positive mindset, it allows you to push your body even harder because you are more motivated and in a better place to face those challenges.

There will be some days when you won’t be able to finish your run, and that’s okay

This was one of my biggest obstacles that I had to get over. Towards the middle of the program, I kept getting horrible side-stitches that were so excruciating that I couldn’t move faster than a walk. I would beat myself up for not finishing the rest of the day because I felt weak, and it would ruin my whole mood. After it happened a few times, I had to realize that having to start the run again another day would not impede me from finishing the program and it didn’t discredit all of the hard work that I had done to get where I was. You just need to listen to your body and rest it when it’s telling you to rest.

It is important to push yourself past the limits that you think you have

Obviously, the whole goal of the app is to work up to a 10K by slowly challenging yourself to run more each time. Before starting, I thought it would definitely be doable, and that while it may be a challenge, it wouldn’t be anything too difficult. However, I was wrong. I got to a certain point where the long runs were so much more than I was used to and it was a really hard transition. I had to realize that this end goal wasn’t as easy as I had believed it to be and that I would have to set smaller goals. I pushed myself even harder in order to achieve what I wanted to. Even when I thought I wouldn’t be able to finish, I made myself finish, and when I pushed myself like that, I felt stronger and more accomplished than ever.

Anyone can do it, we all have to start somewhere

As I previously said, I am not a naturally gifted runner. I’ve never been very fast or had consistent stamina. However, running is amazing because that doesn’t matter. Sure, at first it might seem impossible, but even setting little goals that allow you to grow will eventually lead to better running ability. It doesn’t matter how fast you go or where you start out, all that matters is that you’re pushing yourself and achieving what you set out to.

I was able to finish the 10K with a lot of hard work and self-determination, and if it’s something you’ve always wanted to try there’s no better time to start than the present!

Madison Hoad

George Mason University '23

Madison is currently a junior on the Pre-Nursing track, minoring in both Psychology and Forensic Science. Her goal is to become either a surgical or forensic nurse. When Madison isn't studying, you can find her running, watching Netflix, grabbing Chipotle with friends, or exploring DC!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com