This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

About two years ago, I decided to chop all of my hair off. There were many, many reasons why I wanted to, like the fact that it got tangled so easily and I would always end up ripping out so much hair when I would brush it. It started to become such a burden to try and style so I would just throw it up in a bun everyday, which led to my hair breaking off at the front of my head, not to mention the split ends. These were all contributing factors, but the main reason I cut my hair off was because it was the one thing people would always compliment me on. I would hear “OMG you look like Rapunzel!” more than I would hear compliments about what I was involved in at school or what I wanted to do with my life.

Eventually, I became so fed up with only hearing people compliment me on my hair that I saved up enough money, then went and got a pixie cut. It was one of the most liberating moments of my life. Here are a few reasons why I cut off my hair and why I think everyone should at least once in their life!

1. You do not need your hair to be beautiful

Once it all came off, I realized that I did not need my long blonde hair to be “pretty.” It took me awhile to realize this and have it truly set in. From this, I learned to love myself for the way that I was and not hide behind my hair.

Via Giphy

2. It highlights your other qualities

Because you can’t hide behind your hair, this is the perfect opportunity to experiment with makeup! Your face is front and center, so I made sure to have on glittery eyeshadow and a BOLD wing to show my personality!

Via Giphy

3. You realize how much we think about our own self-image

I realized from not having my long hair anymore that I was always so focused on my image and how others were seeing me. I didn’t want to cut off my hair because I knew it was one of the things everyone else liked about me. Once that ponytail was cut off, that sense of fear and worry completely melted away!

Via Giphy

4. It shows true colors

When it comes to relationships with friends, family, or significant others, it not only shows your true colors…it will show theirs. It weeds out the bad people, while bringing you closer to the people who matter and yourself!

Via Giphy

If you’ve always dreamt of chopping your hair off, just do it! It is an amazing experience and you will look amazing no matter what, collegiettes!

Mackenzie Nelson

George Mason University '21

Mackenzie Nelson is a double major in Government and International Politics with a concentration in International Relations and Russian and Eurasian Studies with a concentration in Russian Language and Culture. She is passionate about politics and loves coffee. In the future, she hopes to work in public service.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com