This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Via ComicBookMovie

Alright, let me start by saying if you haven’t seen Black Panther, thank you for clicking on this article, but you can exit now. On February 16, 2018 Marvel released the newest addition to their Universe, the film Black Panther. This movie not only means a lot to comic book lovers, but it also means a lot for black people. To be able to see a superhero where his entire family and his army look just like you is a feeling that can be quite unfamiliar to some minorities.

Via Giphy

Black Panther is a film about T’Challa, who takes over as King of Wakanda, upon the death of his father. So far, I have seen the film twice and it just gets better every time I go. While the film was great and was most definitely for the culture, I would just like to go over the few gems that I noticed in this film.

First, let us take the time to celebrate the Dora Milaje. They are a group of fierce women who are in charge of protecting the country of Wakanda and honestly my new squad goals. They were willing to fight for their country and even kill the man they loved for Wakanda. Talk about loyalty! Their fearless leader Okoye even had to back T’challa a few times.

Related: Black Panther: The Marvel Revolution

Via Giphy

Secondly, while the movie did give off some Lion King vibes, it was unlike any superhero movie I had ever seen. Black Panther evoked sadness, happiness, hope and pride within two hours. It had romance, fight scenes and female empowerment. What more can you ask for? The soundtrack put together by Kendrick Lamar features great artists such as Vince Staples, The Weeknd, James Blake and SZA that help keep the movie flowing.

Lastly, every character in this movie is just beautiful. It is so easy to get distracted by how good everyone looks. The whole film was empowering and I encourage everyone to see it. This is most definitely a movie the whole family will enjoy. Black Panther is the film gift that keeps on giving.  

Wakanda Forever!

Angelica Walker

George Mason University

Angelica is a Junior Communications major from Lynchburg, VA. She has a concentration in Public Relations and one day hopes to work for the NBA. She is also pursuing a double minor in Sports Communication and African and African American Studies. She is Vice President of the Black Student Alliance and is also a Mason Ambassador.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com