Valentine’s Day: A Self Love Letter to the Amazing Woman You Are

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

You may have heard of the HBO classic, Sex and the City, and if you are a devoted member of the show’s following, you’ve probably seen the movies as well. 

In the first Sex and the City movie, we see Carrie, the main character lying in bed with her husband reading a book called, Love Letters of Great Men. While this is a great and touching collection of letters that could melt anyone’s heart, I am currently trying not to be #BitteronBoard about Valentine’s Day like so many of us fall victim to year after year. 

It is important for us proud independent women out there to have our own self “love letters”. So here is a list of quotes and poems from strong, funny, and inspiring writers, singer, characters, and artists to remind you that being single on Valentine’s Day is no reason to frown—and only the more reason to go out, pop champagne, and toast to the fabulous woman you are.

“Think of all your ups and downs, your hopes and fears. How many of them have been yours, and how many of them have been constructs of romantic discourse?” – Girls (s4e7) Mimi-Rose Howard

“A strong woman builds her own world. She is one who is wise enough to know that it will attract the man she will gladly share it with.” – Ellen J Barrier

“Cause I know every man has a fear of a strong minded woman.”—Kehlani Parrish

“The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.” – Mohadesa Najumi

“Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.”—Judy Garland

“When you forgive, you heal your own anger and hurt and are able to let love lead again. It’s like spring cleaning for your heart.” – Marci Shimoff.

“It’s a tough age to fall in love. People change so quickly. I don’t want to have to feel like I have to watch my step, ’cause I’m 17 and I shouldn’t have to. I’m like, ‘Dude, you’re wasting away your entire high school years, and now you’re going to waste away your college years. You’re going to spend your entire life in a relationship, and then you’re going to get married. . . . And then you’re dead! So you lived your life in a relationship!’ That’s not my style.”—Chloe Grace Moretz

“The moment you realize that you were always the right person. Only ignorant people walk away from greatness.”– Shannon L Adler

“No, I’m not going to apologize for who I am, and I’m going to actually love the skin that I’m in. I’m not gonna be striving for some other version of myself.”—Amy Schumer

Pictures belongs to Leah Hammett (Pinterest) and http://domesticanddamned3.blogspot.com/2011/12/love-letters-of-lesser-me…. Quotes belong to noted artists.

Lindsey Tangeman

George Mason University

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com