This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

We’re all fans of coffee right? I mean why else would you have clicked on this article if not. 

Anyway, since we like coffee and we’ve all probably been to a Starbucks at least once in our lives, I’m going to give you a few drink life hacks that I’ve picked up over the years behind the coffee bar as a barista.

1. Caramel Apple Spice Cider 

One of my favorite holiday drinks is actually one without any caffeine, it’s called the Caramel Apple Spice Cider and it is AMAZING! Unfortunately, it’s not on the menu year-round, that being said, I’ll show you how to order this drink even in the dead of summer. So, the first thing is you’ll need apple juice, and most Starbucks don’t carry that behind the counter year-round, but they might have it in their beverage case out by the register. If they do, grab a bottle and ask if you bought it would they steam it for you. Some locations might not be willing to do that and if not please respect that. But, if they say yes, ask for it to be steamed and then to add in cinnamon dolce syrup as well as whipped cream, cinnamon dolce sprinkles and caramel drizzle on top. Then boom! There you have it! A Caramel Apple Spice Cider. 

Recipe:

Apple Juice 

Cinnamon Dolce Syrup 

Whipped Cream 

Caramel Drizzle 

Cinnamon Dolce Sprinkles 

2. Salted Caramel Mocha 

Another one of my favorite holiday drinks is the Salted Caramel Mocha. This drink is usually rolled out around Autumn but it’s something that you can get easily year-round. Just ask for a mocha, add toffee nut syrup, topped with whipped cream and a caramel drizzle. It’s super simple and the only thing missing is the salt on top.

Recipe:

Mocha 

Toffee Nut Syrup

Whipped Cream 

Caramel Drizzle 

3. Captain Crunch Frappuccino

This isn’t a drink that I order often, but a lot of younger kids like it, as well as people who just want something cold and sweet. Also, this drink has no coffee in it so you don’t have to worry about little ones bouncing off the walls for any other reason than the sugar. For the Captain Crunch drink, order a strawberries and creme frappuccino, add in one pump of caramel syrup, one pump of toffee nut syrup, one pump of hazelnut syrup, and if you want, a scoop or two of java chips. 

Recipe:   

Strawberries and Cream Frappuccino 

One Pump Toffee Nut Syrup

One Pump Hazelnut Syrup

One Pump Caramel Syrup

A Scoop of Java Chips 

4. Cotton Candy Frappuccino

This drink is like super easy to order. It’s also a very popular drink with people who aren’t into caffeine. For this drink, you just have to order a vanilla bean frappuccino and add in raspberry syrup. See? Super simple!

Recipe:

Vanilla Bean Frappuccino 

Raspberry Syrup 

5. Snickers Frappuccino

Finally, for our candy lovers out there, here’s how to order a Snickers Frappuccino. First, order a java chip frappuccino, add toffee nut syrup, and add both mocha and caramel drizzle in and out (this just means around the cup and on the whipped cream), then ask for whipped cream on top. You can also substitute heavy cream for the whole milk if you want your frappuccino to be more creamy.

Recipe:

Java Chip Frappuccino

Toffee Nut Syrup

Mocha and Caramel Drizzle in and out 

Whipped Cream 

Optional: Heavy Cream Instead of Whole Milk

Now that you know a few of my drink life hacks, be sure to be nice to your baristas when you get these. They aren’t always familiar with these recipes and if it’s a busy day it might take you a few extra minutes to get your drink. Just be patient and have a pleasant attitude, maybe even give them a tip if you can. Not only will you have a great new drink, but you’ll have made the barista’s day just a little bit better. 

Via Giphy 

Now go grab some other collegiettes and get to sippin’!

Jordan Lear

George Mason University '22

Jordan is a senior at George Mason University. She's pursuing a degree in Communication with a concentration in Media Production and Criticism and a minor in Film and Media Studies. Jordan loves to hang out with her friends and try to make them laugh. She's pretty outgoing and will totally talk your ear off if you mention one of her many random obsessions.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com