alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Planning the perfect Halloween costume is a month long process for me, probably longer if I’m being honest. It needs to be something current, easily understood by the masses, and of course either cute, funny, or sexy. This year I went as the newly rebranded Justin Bieber. However, being Bieber wasn’t all fun and games…

Stage 1: Initial Excitement

FINALLY. It may have taken me until the actual week of Halloween but I had finally overcome my creativite block and thought of a hip, unique, and cost effective master plan. As I listened to “What Do You Mean” for the 9,000x this year I just knew: I had to be the Biebs.

Stage 2: What Was I Getting Myself Into

Having already purchased my other costume, it was going to be a struggle to make Bieber happen in less than a week. As I waited in the Party City line the Thursday of Halloween, I knew I may have bitten off more than I can chew. *DiScLaImEr* Don’t go to PC the few days leading up to Halloween… the line is worse than any you’ve seen trying to check into your bar crawl.

Stage 3: Realization

As I had made it out of Party City alive with my Bieber-esque tattoo sleeves, just scored the perfect flannel on the cheap (shoutout to Walmart for always coming through), and had completed the most exceptionally handcrafted “What Do You Mean” sign after studying the correct handwriting for hours, I realized this had the potential to be my best disguise yet.

Stage 4: Preparation

As I had a slow start the morning of Halloween, I took my time to emotionally and physically prepare for my day as Justin Bieber. As I applied my makeup (I wasn’t at the point in my life where I could 100% commit to the whole comedic costume thing), slid my tattoo sleeves on, and most importantly—pinned my hair in the perfect hairdo to fit my man Bieber. This hairstyle had been put on blast all over twitter with people saying Bieber looked like Kate Gosselin, amongst many other memes, so I was sure this hairstyle would really send my costume to the next level.

Stage 5: Hesitation

As I looked at my self in the mirror, I knew the costume was flawless. However, I was so used to dressing up as something “sexy” or “slutty” on Halloween I really questioned my decision to go from that extreme, to dressing like a dude. Should I retreat back to my semi-sexy Viking plan?? I had to persevere and give the people what they want…

Stage 6: The Big Reveal

As I arrived at the dorms and greeted my friends (who all looked just as fabulous)—I was given the gratification I was looking for as Bieber. Is this what he feels like everyday?? After a round of many, “that’s so perfects,” “you look exactly like hims,” and “you totally nailed its,” I gave myself a pat on the back to reward my success. #BieberCameThru

Stage 7: Understanding

Wherever I went it seemed teenage girls would stop me to say, “I love your costume.” I really appreciated these as they reaffirmed the fact that I will never be able to top this costume, but as the night grew on and I heard more and more comments like these—I began to sympathize with Bieber. All these people giving me attention?? At that point I missed my normal routine of flying waaay under the radar.

Being Bieber for a day was many things: exciting, terrifying, hilariously amazing, a little bit annoying, but at the end of the day a whole lot of fun. I should probably just start thinking of ideas for next year if I want to even attempt to beat #Bieber2015. But for now, I’ll let Justin go back to being the only Bieber. .

All photos belong to Lindsey Tangeman.

Lindsey Tangeman

George Mason University

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com