Sims 4 Discover University Review By An Actual University Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

I’ll be the first to admit that I have a Sims problem. I started playing The Sims 2 when I was in third grade and have been hooked for the better part of a decade now. You could say I’m a bit of a connoisseur. 

For those who might not be as familiar with the game, buckle up for a crash course: 

The Sims is a series of simulation video games that is most known for the level of creativity and customization it allows. It falls into a category of games known as “sandbox games” or “open world games” which lack defined gameplay goals. The player is able to create a virtually unlimited amount of unique Sim characters, build detailed homes, and can generally do whatever they want. 

As a college student, I was really excited to get my hands on the Discover University expansion pack. I didn’t have many expectations outside of what the trailer showed, partially because I didn’t have the Sims 3 University Life expansion back in the day. However, I waited to purchase the expansion until it went on sale the week before Christmas (even though it came out in mid-November) because ya girl does not have $39.99 to be throwing at video games right now. I did cave at the 50% off deal though, and purchased the game for myself at $19.99. Then, it was time to play!

My first taste of the new content were the new Create-A-Sim items, including new clothing and hairstyles. The new items are CUTE, y’all! They are actually things a real person would wear, which isn’t always the case in TS4 (I’m looking at you, randomly spawning Townies with terrible outfits). Some great new basic tops and bottoms have been included which will work well with other in-game content, as well as some University-specific things which are fun if you’re playing with the pack specifically. 

The theme of good, universally useful new items continues in Build-and-Buy Mode. There are essentially two styles of items: a classic, slightly old-school vibe that is intended to match the style of the University of Britechester, along with a more modern style that suits the Foxbury Institute. The highlight for me was the wide assortment of lovely new windows and doors that would look good on just about any type of building. There’s also some super cute new bookshelves and potted plants which are perfect for both university housing, but would also look great with lots of other building styles. I would’ve liked some more new wood or stone flooring options, but that’s really my only complaint in this aspect of the pack. 

The gameplay was the only area where I had a few specific problems. 

For starters, university is stressful! For each course (at least, the courses my Sim was taking) had a daily Homework task along with a final project-type task to be completed by the end of the term. My Sim spent most of her time doing homework in her room rather than participating in extracurriculars or making friends, which is accurate to my own college experience but makes for moderately boring gameplay. 

I also don’t love the university housing/roommate system. Overall, I think it’s fun and adds elements of surprise into the game because you don’t have control over your roommates. However, the hall-style bathrooms having open showers consistently gives my Sim an Embarrassed moodlet which drives me nuts. Sims that live in university housing will also just sit down to do homework wherever, even if it’s not their room and you don’t know them. For example, my Sim walked across the building to do homework on a stranger’s desk instead of her own. 

Overall, I very much enjoy this pack. In my opinion, this is one of the more useful and well thought-out expansions that’s been put out recently (*cough* Get Famous *cough*). It integrates nicely with the rest of the game. Even if you’re not playing with a Sim attending university, you can still use the new items and some gameplay functions. Discover University also adds a great storytelling tool that I’ve found to be a broadly applicable aspect of gameplay. The ability to send a Sim to college for some shenanigans and a degree at the end adds a layer of realism to the game that I find refreshing in a game that sometimes gets bogged down by aliens, witches, and mermaids. 

If you like The Sims and you’re looking for a new expansion, I highly recommend Discover University!

Anna Bertino

George Mason University '21

Anna is a Communication major at George Mason concentrating in Public Relations and minoring in English. She is a social media editor for the HC George Mason chapter. Anna is also the president of Mason's Equestrian Club and Show Team. When not writing or riding, she can be found drinking tea, satisfying her sweet tooth, or planning her next vacation.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com