Saying You Are for Life Doesn’t Mean You Are Against Choice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

On March 17, 2021 a panel of Idaho lawmakers signed a ‘fetal heartbeat’ ban which prohibits abortions if a heartbeat is detected during an ultrasound. On March 9, 2021 Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson signed a bill banning an abundance of abortions rights. The bill allows abortions in a case of a mothers life being at risk due to the pregnancy. It doesn’t include the case of having an abortion in regards of sexual assault or incest which Hutchinson would like to have had included in the bill. Though Hutchinson signed the bill, supporters of it would like Roe vs. Wade to be overturned, but those against it plan to block it before it goes into effect.  

Pro-life is someone that opposes life being taken in any case such as abortions, the death penalty, euthanasia, and more. In most cases people consider themselves pro-life, but only in the case of being against abortions which to me is not pro-life. To advocate for the government to abolish abortions, pro-lifers hold rallies such as March for Life that has been happening since 1974, a year after abortions were legalized. In response to pro-life those who support abortions have their own rallies and movement. 

Someone who identifies as pro-choice supports the right to receive an abortion and believes that it is a woman’s choice because it is her body. In this case, that term in particular has to deal with abortion and no other politically correct issues. The movement has had multiple rallies gravitating millions of people such as #StopTheBan or rallies with multiple goals such as the Women’s March. 

Then there are people like me who are in the middle between both movements based on science, hypocrisy, and rights. 

In reality, I don’t consider myself pro-life due to my other beliefs and the radical viewpoints that certain folks in the movement represent. When people consider themselves pro-life it means you are against any life being taken — including gun violence. Many people that have stated they are against abortions and believe all life matters, also supported massacres like the Iraq War, where thousands of innocent people died. Also, many support the death penalty. As a pro-life supporter, the death penalty should be considered an action where a life is being taken, regardless of the crime. In some cases those who are executed are found to be innocent later as well. This is hypocrisy at its finest and I can not align myself with certain folks that have double standards. I understand that there is a distinction between abortions and other factors such as the death penalty due to abortions technically being deemed as a baby’s life being taken. With all that being said, life is life. It doesn’t matter if it’s an adult or fetus. 

Though like pro-lifers, I believe human life begins at the brink of conception, though many researchers have different evidence that it doesn’t and some does. In some cases, I am against abortions because when a women has consensual sex without precautions that can cause pregnancy they know the risks. In those cases, the pregnancy could have been avoided, but are ignored for unknown reasons causing a pregnancy that doesn’t deserve to be aborted because safety wasn’t taken into consideration. Though I do have these beliefs, I will never force my opinions on someone else even those that consider themselves pro-choice. 

Even though I have some of these beliefs, it’s still a woman’s choice and I will respect her choice even if I don’t agree with it. I am not the person that will be supporting the child and taking care of it once it’s born. Finally, I never know what the mother is going through and the support system she sustains from the father or her family in general. More than likely, the mother is judging and tearing herself inside for contemplating such a choice. Who am I to judge or make her choice harder?

Imani Agbionu

George Mason University '21

Imani is a senior majoring in Marketing from Washington, DC where she has lived her whole life. Her mother is American and her father is Nigerian. During free time when she is not studying she likes to read ebooks from Amazon with her favorite author right now being Bethany Kris. She also enjoys talking to people about a variety of topics focusing on politics, movies, life, or other trending subjects. As you can see, she is an introvert so streaming platforms such as Netfilx, Disney+, and more are her best friends. She loves to write about different topics as well sometimes people might agree or disagree, but that is what conversation is for! That is why she is extremely ecstatic to write for Her Campus and can possibly make new friends and people that enjoy her writing.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com