This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

PARIS, France— The singer, businesswoman and now, fashion designer announced that she is be collaborating with LVMH creating her Fenty fashion line.

Rihanna started her move to the business and beauty world with the release of her Fenty foundation. The foundation came in an astonishing 40 shades, that ranged with shades that other beauty companies ignored, light and dark alike. Sales skyrocketed and this was the push that the rest of the beauty industry needed to create more shades especially for women of darker skin.

Via Glamour

Rihanna then created her lingerie line, Savage x Fenty. The affordable lingerie line promoted inclusivity of women of all different shapes, sizes and skin tones. The line received praise, claiming Rihanna showed “what real women looked like.” The line called out others in the industry, specifically Victoria Secret which received its fair share of criticism about the types of women they use to portray their products.

Teaming up with the luxury fashion conglomerate LVMH, who owns prestigious houses like Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior and Givenchy, Rihanna created the entire line from scratch the first since Christian Lacroix was created in 1987. She is the first black woman to own a luxury fashion brand.

Via Pursuitis

This isn’t the Work singer’s first venture into fashion. Rihanna was named creative director of Puma back in 2014, releasing multiple collections of women’s athleisure wear.

“Designing a line like this with LVMH is an incredibly special moment for us. Mr. Arnault has given me a unique opportunity to develop a fashion house in the luxury sector, with no artistic limits,” said Rihanna, in a statement, referring to LVMH Chairman and Chief Executive Bernard Arnault, “I couldn’t imagine a better partner both creatively and business-wise, and I’m ready for the world to see what we have built together.”

The line consists of ready-to-wear-and accessories like sunglasses, earrings and necklaces. Rihanna made a big emphasis on the fit of the product, again going back to her roots of inclusivity “I’m a curvy girl, if I can’t wear my stuff then it just won’t work. I need to see how it looks on my hips, on my thighs, on my stomach – does it look good on me or only on a fit model? It’s important,” The 31-year-old explained.

Via Fenty.com

There are a few things about the new Fenty line that come as a shock to some.

The first is that this line will only be available online. The business mogul is taking her collection to a direct-to-consumer retail model. With no runway shows and no stores for an in-person look at the collection, this is an interesting approach for a luxury fashion brand. All of the products are available for purchase on the website as of May 19.

The other interesting thing about the collection is the prices. Both Fenty Beauty and Savage x Fenty are both affordable products for most people to purchase. However, Fenty is pretty expensive for the average person. With pieces costing over $1,000, Rihanna has isolated a large portion of her market while at the same time, creating a niche clientele that gives her Fenty brand a higher status.

Fenty pieces are available on the website Fenty.com with new releases arriving on a 6-8 weeks basis.  

Via Fenty.com

Salma Hamze

George Mason University '20

Salma is a senior at George Mason currently studying Communication with a double concentration in Public Relations and Media Criticism and Production with a minor in Journalism. Family, friends and food are some of her top priorities; along with music, film and books. Reading sparked an interest in not only writing fiction but real world topics as well. She hopes to work in Public Relations and be able to travel the world one day. She is also a sister of Alpha Xi Delta here on campus.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com