This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Coming home for the holidays from college is definitely an experience. It’s always a fun time to catch up with friends and family over a nice home-cooked meal. I think I can speak for all of those who live on campus, that a home-cooked meal is greatly appreciated. After months of fast food and food from your school’s dining hall, a meal made by your family is golden. This year Thanksgiving may be a lot different considering the alarming rate of COVID-19 cases going up. I wish you all a safe holiday.

If your family decides to continue on with the traditional family gathering, I highly recommend everyone gets tested just to be sure. With that, coming back home from college almost feels like the peak of adulthood at times. For the most part, you are exactly that now, an adult. At times you’re going to have family members and friends feel just as shocked as you probably do, now that you’re this adult person now. With that in mind, don’t be afraid to set a few boundaries with your family/ family friends.

Related article: 10 Reasons To Be Thankful For Thanksgiving

As much as you probably show your family respect, you being a human being yourself, deserve the same amount of respect reciprocated towards you. It may be hard but that’s the part of adulting that many don’t enjoy which is simply good communication. It’s time to rip off the Band-Aid, simply stating how you feel does not indicate an argument. I know being away from your family sparks up what feels like a million questions about your life. Even though you may not feel like it, I do believe your family can at least get a brief update of your life, it simply means they care. 

What draws the line for me during Thanksgiving are questions regarding school. I recently shared how family asking what feels like millions of questions at times just shows they care but when leaving school to spend quality time with family, school is the last conversation I want to have when I’m home. I’m sure most of you can relate and I think the best way to avoid the conversation of school during Thanksgiving break is to just be honest. Share exactly how you feel, this doesn’t have to be problematic; everyone is an adult and willing to respect your wishes. 

The amount of stress that us college students go through on top of maintaining what life has to throw at us, seems so hard at times to balance. So, when it’s time to go home sometimes it’s nice to hear what your family has been up to, to simply breathe. This allows you to completely live in the moment and not have to think about school for a couple of days (or hours). If we’re being honest, school for the most part will be in the back of your mind due to finals slowly approaching. Once again, this doesn’t have to be said to your family in a rude, standoffish way yet stern enough to let them know you would much rather enjoy their company and relax.

Related article: How to Maintain A Relationship with Your Parents at School

Once again collegiettes, I hope you all stay safe this Thanksgiving and enjoy your time with your loved ones. I hope my advice helps with avoiding the topic of school during your Thanksgiving break, especially during this pandemic. A nice plate of home-cooked food is truly needed this holiday season. Good luck with these last couple of weeks of your semester, you got this!

Jalyn Green

George Mason University '22

Jalyn Green is a senior at George Mason University currently studying Communication with a minor in Film. She is a Philly native who enjoys spending time with friends, family, and dogs. She is also very passionate about music and fashion and hopes to become a creative director in the future.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com