toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It’s okay not to be excited for Halloween. Gasp! Yes, collegiettes, I said it. There are so many things wrong with the holiday and I find myself not as excited about it as I was when I was a child (who wasn’t allowed to trick or treat or dress up because of Satan…sigh).  Here are a few reasons it’s okay not to be excited by Halloween…no Satan is not one of them.

History

Via Giphy

The history of the holiday seems to be lost. A lot of people know nothing about the history around Halloween and just celebrate it because it’s a day you can ‘dress up’ like anything you want and have parties.  

Not Inclusive

Via Giphy

The holiday, although it seems inclusive, isn’t at all. It’s marketed that way, however, in some states like Virginia you could be fined for trick or treating when you’re a teenager. It’s as though they’ve decided that teenagers don’t like free candy anymore or that they don’t deserve the free candy.

Sexualization

Via Giphy

Too many of the costumes for women are sexual. You could wear these costumes in the bedroom and it could pass off as negligee, that’s how sexual some of the costumes are.

Appropriation/ Racism

Via Giphy

Certain people take Halloween as a pass that they can dress up as anything they want. I’m telling you now you cannot. It sucks that almost every Halloween there is a news story about someone wearing black face. We’re supposed to have advanced father than that now. Not only that, people will dress according to others cultures and that isn’t okay either.

Pedophiles/Kidnapping

Via Giphy

The title explains it all. This is a prime night for pedophiles to be on loose. Almost every Halloween a child goes missing. That really sucks.

Psychopaths

Via Giphy

The news comes on the day after Halloween full of stories about weed/drug candy, poisonous candy and harmful candy. Some people are completely crazy and find enjoyment in harming children. They will do evil deeds like putting needles in candy which could and has killed people.

Sorry to be a downer. There are two upsides to Halloween. Pumpkin everything and Charlie Brown!

Via Giphy

Zeairah Webb

George Mason University '22

Zeairah is a senior at George Mason University. She spends most of her time reading, doing homework, and watching Netflix. Her favorite color is yellow and her favorite animals are dogs. She is double majoring in marketing and management with a minor in journalism with hopes of one day studying intellectual property law. She aspires to be many things such as a legal consultant/attorney, a creative director for Disney, or a travel/lifestyle writer for a magazine.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com