Style > Beauty

Please Don’t Touch My Hair: an Age-Old Discussion told through Gifs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It happens once or twice a year. I’ll return to campus with a new hairstyle after break, braids or an afro, neither which are new to me but to those I talk to may be shocking seeing as I can keep one style for 3 months at a time.

They usually say something like, “Omg! You got a new hairstyle,” and their hand reaches out…to touch my hair.

Via Giphy

A lot of people may not see this as a big deal, but it is a big deal for a lot of women like myself.

Personal space is being invaded.

Via Giphy

No one ever asks permission, they presume that they have permission. That simply isn’t the truth.

Via Giphy

The style could get ruined because of the touching.

Via Giphy

It is rude. If someone came up and just touched you how would you feel?

Via Giphy

To reiterate, please, please, do not touch others hair unless given permission! Compliments and fawning are welcome but ask to touch.

Via Giphy

Zeairah Webb

George Mason University '22

Zeairah is a senior at George Mason University. She spends most of her time reading, doing homework, and watching Netflix. Her favorite color is yellow and her favorite animals are dogs. She is double majoring in marketing and management with a minor in journalism with hopes of one day studying intellectual property law. She aspires to be many things such as a legal consultant/attorney, a creative director for Disney, or a travel/lifestyle writer for a magazine.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com