#OneVoteMatters: Mackenzie Nelson Raises Her Voice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Despite being only a sophomore, Mackenzie Nelson, a Government and International Politics major, has already begun making a dent in George Mason’s political scene. Throughout her freshman year, she noticed that Mason students were largely unaware of the role that Student Government plays in their lives on campus — or even what they are. “I am a firm believer in the idea of ‘be the change that you want to see in the world,’ so I am running for Student Senate to become the person that stands up for all students and makes sure that their voices are heard.”

Mackenzie is from Chesapeake, Virginia, which is “20 minutes away from the beach, but also 20 minutes away from the North Carolina border,” and has always had a strong passion for politics. The differing viewpoints she was exposed to in her government classes in a predominantly white and conservative area made that passion even stronger, eventually leading her to become a Government major here at George Mason University. For Mackenzie, the moment that solidified her decision came during the Women’s March in Norfolk, “it was one of the most eye-opening and inspiring experiences of my senior year.”

As a collegiette, Mackenzie is — and always has been — outspoken in her belief that women are allowed to speak out and be heard, which is personified in who she believes is one of the most influential modern politicians: Senator Kamala Harris. Senator Harris represents the state of California and has served in the Senate since her groundbreaking election in 2017. She’s worked to advocate for women and minorities at the national stage, currently fighting ardently to stop the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh until proper hearings and investigations can be held covering the sexual assault allegations brought up by multiple women. Mackenzie says “we are all allowed to take up space in this world and speak our minds. Senator Kamala Harris is a great representation of this.”Via Mackenzie Nelson

When the time came to campaign for student senate, Mackenzie felt like it was time for more people to step up and step out of  their comfort zones to make Mason — and the world — a better place for everyone, and she plans to focus on outreach and education about the Student Senate’s role and the fact that there truly is a place for everyone in Student Government. As a Patriot Leader, she focused her entire summer — and most of the school year — on giving Mason students opportunities to get involved around campus and making the newest Patriots feel more comfortable about their decision to choose Mason as their new home. She sees a spot in the student senate as an opportunity to continue this work.Via Mackenzie Nelson

Student Senate elections aren’t the only elections and campaigns to think about, with the midterm elections rapidly approaching, Makenzie — and all of us at Her Campus — encourage you to go out and let your voice be heard at every opportunity you can. “As college students, especially college women, we don’t think our vote will count, so what’s the point right? Something I have come to realize is that we have a lot more power in elections than we think, and decisions we make November 6th can really have an impact on college students lives.”

Vote for Mackenzie Nelson for Student Senator on Get Connected and go out to the polls on November 6th, to show both George Mason and Congress that, as Mackenzie says, “there is power in numbers and there is power in collegiettes.”

Chloe Fischer

George Mason University '22

Chloe is majoring in Government and International Politics at George Mason University. She is currently the President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at George Mason University. Outside of Her Campus, she is also a founding member and the secretary of Ignite GMU, her university's chapter of Ignite, a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young women to declare their ambition and ignite their political power.
Courtney Boone

George Mason University '18

Courtney is a senior at George Mason University studying forensic psychology and criminology. She serves as Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus George Mason and is also a Her Campus National Chapter Advisor. She graduates in December of 2018 and will be starting her Master's in Criminal Justice this spring at Mason. The motto she lives by: "Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it."